Jack is a huge fan of morning devotional. At night we still read the boys their scripture story but for morning devotional we sing a song, say family prayer, and then read one actual scripture. Just one. We go through it and explain the words they don't understand and then the meaning of the whole verse. (the hope is that at night they will get familiar with the stories and the morning will get them used to scripture language for when they start studying on their own). Anyway...
Jack has had a longstanding love-affair with words so he has quite enjoyed this. Also I let him hold my scriptures which he thinks is very cool since they are usually off limits. He is so very careful with them and likes to sit on the couch afterwards with them and look for the ones I have highlighted etc. Cute.
Jack's favorite word he has learned thus far is MIGHTY!!! He says it with great gusto! His other favorites include: Diligent, Joy, Lord, Record and Contention. We read the scripture about how the Devil is the Father of Contention and later that day when he was arguing with Alaster I gave him a very knowing look and he clapped his hands to his mouth and with an intake of breath exclaimed "The Devil!" He knew who he was following at that moment. Pretty funny.
"Bless mommy to be delicious."

So Jack still uses a lot of words incorrectly... our favorite (which we absolutely refuse to correct him about) is "Beseen" he only uses it when coupled with the word "Before," as in "Have you beseen this before?!?" "I have never beseen that before!"
But honestly we find lately that it's even funnier when he uses words correctly. It's so funny to hear a four year old say "Yes mom. That is correct." or "I would also like some of that." or "Wow! You threw that quite high!" or "I drank some of that and it began to hurt my mouth." or "I suppose so."
Sometimes it's in the inflection and tone. I asked him one day if he wanted a PB and J for lunch or a Grilled Cheese. He chose PB and J. I went in to the kitchen and he put his hands up and politely explained in his adultly-proper and apologetic voice: "Actually, I change my mind... I'm so sorry... I would like a grilled cheese." The ... 'I'm so sorry' part was the best. You'd have to hear my impression to get it fully.
But to be fair here's some of the words or phrases that he still hasn't quite figured out yet:
Strange
Expensive
Concentrate "I'm going to concentrate this piece of wood."
Reporter (he may actually think this is a word for a super-hero powered belt buckle)
Suggest
Man it feels like there should be more in this section about language. He is just so funny.
1 comment:
You better believe I read the whole thing... I always love your posts and I love me a good Jack story. I love the words section particularly! Miss you lots. Wish you were still close so we could sit down for a proper 3 hour chat about books and life and whatever else came to mind. And I loved the reference to the powdered sugar story. I still tell it, and it starts like this, "Now, you really should hear my friend Ashlee tell it, but..."
I was also wondering if you would post your review of the Green Gables books on the book club blog. I thought it was a great review and very appropriate. And I really really really can't wait until you read "Guernsey". I think Corey would like it too, considering his field. I want to hear what you thought of it soo bad! xo and Merry Christmas!
Post a Comment