
Here is the content of our kit and a few explanations as to the "why's" for those of you who asked:
- First off I went to DI and got a backpack and another bag that was really big and had a strap (you want your kits to be portable. In my case I only packed things that I knew I could carry with me and still be able to pack the kids and run, some web sites suggest much larger kits- but I had those objectives in mind. I think we got the basics)
-6 Liters of Water (that was the most I felt I could carry)
- water purification droplets (the reccommended amount of water is a gallon per person per day, and I knew I couldn't lug that around so I opted to get these so we would just find more water and make it sanitary)
- 4 ponchos and 4 emergency blankets (one for each member of the family)
- a large sturdy tarp with gromets in it, tent pegs, and a large sturdy rope (the idea being that we could make shelter from it, but the rope could be useful for many things)
-a nice knife (to cut the rope etc.)
- wind proof lighter (I think I might swap it for waterproof matches though...)
-a flashlight that you shake for power instead of using batteries
- a small package of salt (Corey's Idea... I can't remember why)
- a VERY good first aid kit (we went to a sporting goods store because from what I've read you want it to be a little better than the kind we saw at Target and Walmart)
-ace bandages (the only thing the kit we bought didn't include)
- feminine products :( how embarassing to list this- but it is important
- a pair of old flip flops (so if I'm not wearing shoes I will have at least SOMETHING)
- FOOD: You want to include things that won't require any cooking or water to be able to eat. You also want high calorie, high fat and high protein items to give you strength and keep you the fullest. The most bang for your calorie you know? Obviously you would want enough for 3 days so here is our menu:
-For Breakfast we each (corey, jack and I) get a protien bar and fruit leather.
-Lunch is a can of tuna and a veggie pack (you can buy single serving things packed in water at the grocery store)
-Dinner is a can of spaghettios or ravioli. I got a few for variety :)
So obviously it would be nice to have a bigger menu, but again I wanted to only pack the absolute essentials so that if I was alone I would be able to carry everything we needed and still be able to run if necessary.
In order to eat said food we also packed a can opener and a fork for each of us.
Beyond food, water, and shelter you want to think of items that are specific to your family needs. If you take medication on a regular basis you need those etc. For us the only special need was Alaster.
For baby we packed:
-diapers (which I have updated each time he moves to the next size)
-wipes (also good for the whole family)
-formula and a bottle
-baby food for three days
-Last but not least I have a reminder on my fridge to update my kits every may and november. I check for outdated food, different family needs etc.
I still want to get the following:
- cash
- a phone calling card and a small laminated card with emergency/family phone #'s
- an axe (that's one that Corey wanted...)
It would also be nice to have these things- but I don't think they are total essentials so until I get a bigger back pack I won't get them:
-change of clothing
-basic hygiene needs
- little radio
I really liked this website:
http://www.redcross.org/services/prepare/0,1082,0_91_,00.html
searching the web I found a lot of good ideas on preparedness in every aspect. My next project? 72 hour kit for the car (in case we are away from home or car breaks down) and a red file to send to Illinois. A red file is all your infomation needs that you would want to still have in case your entire home was destroyed. A magazine suggested you send it to someone you trust in a different area of the country unlikely to be affected by the same natural disaster. We plan on sending ours to Corey's parents.
I hope that was helpful to some of you :)
7 comments:
Yay for preparedness! love the picture by the way...
I love you! you crack me up! I will have to get on my kit. I do have most of my food storage thought...boy was that a project. :) thanks for maken it easy on me !
Great kits Ash! I spent the last conference weekend updating our 72 hour kits and it was a lot of work, but ours aren't as good as yours yet! Yours are definitely more comprehensive. I have one tip though. I know I'll forget to update our kits unless the time is a memorable/predictable date, so I decided to look into my kits every general conference. That's easier for me than a note. :)
NICE JOB ASH! I meant to comment on this a while ago, but I am so totally impressed! I need to take note from you and get this done! Also, i love the look on your face in the pic, total determination!!
Our ward has been stressing these as well. Another good thing to add is copies of important documents like identification, credit cards etc.
Also consecrated oil, and a spare set of keys.
I have a whole bunch of preparedness stuff if you are interested in copies of the handouts.
We have been working on this too! We also have a great list of things to buy a week at a time to build your food storage.
Jamie & RJ
Thanks so much for all the good ideas! One other piece of advice that I heard at an enrichment-when putting cash in your kits, put in small bills rather than a few large ones. I guess after Katrina, some people had to pay $100 or other large amounts for simple things because they didn't have change and people took advantage of them. Thanks again for the post! My kits are being assembled this week, and I'm so excited :)
Good for you! Andy and I have been putting together our kits too. I love the photo too.
Really good ideas...I may have to check ours again and see if I have everything that I want now.
Post a Comment