My History

Friday, August 29, 2008

Burton Visit - Part One

In July we had the rare and splendid chance to have a visit from our far away Illinois family. Corey's parents came for a whole week! It was more time than they have been able to spend in the past which was very nice. Still though when it was all over we weren't ready for them to go! Here's our travelogue:

SATURDAY

This was a short day. We went to the airport to greet them, they gave us really yummy pecan rolls from Beachies (if you have talked to me much at all I have told you about this store that I am so jealous we don't have here), and then came over to kick things off with spoiling us. Jack got this awesome Rody and a Cars game, and I don't remember what anyone else got because they gave me Fannie May chocolates :)





SUNDAY

I didn't take any pictures Sunday. It was a nice relaxing day. We went to church and mostly just hung out. Corey and I felt bad that night that we weren't the best hosts. My mind was totally preoccupied the entire day with what happened to the Pereria family (the family that went to bear lake and they had a horrible accident with the truck and the mother of the family was killed... they were in my home ward growing up and I was just sick about it) and Corey had a raging headache. I think we must have been very boring. We tried to go on a walk... but it rained. Ah well. We needed our rest for the week to come!

MONDAY

When the Burtons come we always go shopping so that they don't "eat us out of house and home," while they are here. Corey and I know the truth though... they are just making sure that we are stocked up on everything we need. It was SO NICE of them. Just look at our fridge and freezer people, and that was just the first day! We added more with each time we went out it seemed like. They love us and want to know that we are taken well care of. We think they do a great job :)





Here we are unloading and enjoying our goods:





That night they took us out to THE CHEESECAKE FACTORY!!! It was everything we hoped it would be. SO GOOD! Probably the most entertaining thing about it was Alaster. They brought him a little plate of bread and sliced bananas and he just wouldn't stop eating. He was in heaven I think. When he ran out he was not happy.





Besides all the time with Gram and Grampa (of course) I think Jack's favorite thing about that week was our departure from normal eating habits. Here he is with the first of the soda's that he was allowed to have. He waited ALL DAY to finally get it. He wasn't the only one who ate things they shouldn't. I rather enjoyed myself in that way too :) It was our only real vacation of the summer so why not splurge a little ?!?



TUESDAY

Tuesday we played at "City Park!" (Park City). They got the boys some great things for the rest of summer and for fall, and some great things for Corey and I too. Aly was all ready to go with his new sunglasses:



Don't we look so cute all ready to go shopping? It was good we got pictures before we started. We were all pretty tuckered out by the end. Not to worry though... I can think of much worse ways to get tuckered out than by shopping all day :)







Grampa took Jack to go play at the playground.



Here Jack is hanging out with Grampa on the couch enjoying his new rain boots, and Grampa trying on Jack's new spiderman glasses. These two liked each other I think...



WEDNESDAY

Wednesday started out with a little bit of real life again... at least for Corey and I. Corey went to class and I went to Michelle Pereria's funeral. That meant alone time with Gram and Grampa for the boys! Wahoo! It was nice of them to watch the kids so we could go do those things. Especially for me to go to the funeral I thought. I was so glad that I got to go. The boys had a good time painting, playing with water guns etc. while we were out.

I don't remember where Ed and Cindy went, but that afternoon while the boys were napping Corey and I had some alone time together. It was so nice that Corey got to take an entire week off of work and only go to school twice. Not only did we love the time that we got to spend with his parents, it was also a great time for the two of us to reconnect.



That night we did what in my opinion was the funnest activity of the whole week. The boys got decked out in their Cubs outfits and we went to a Bee's Game! I have never been to a real baseball game before, but now I totally understand why it is America's favorite past time. I was such a blast!

Before the game we went to the park for a picnic and a little baseball of our own:











Here is cute Cindy putting out the picnic. She made some really yummy sandwiches for us all to enjoy.





The Game:











When you go to a baseball game it is essential that you eat a hot dog and that (if you are a little boy) you get an ice cream. Lucky for us it was "Weiner Wednesday!"





Alaster didn't have a hot dog or ice cream but he did down an incredible amount of popcorn and water. He couldn't have been happier munching away on Gram's lap. He spent most of his evening with her that night :)





Jack also had fun meeting the Bee and riding the train. He was really funny about the bee. He really wanted to touch his "tail," but was too chicken in the end to make it happen. He was kind of awestruck the actual moment they met.



He rolled down the hill while we waited for the train:





All in all it was a spectacular evening. Not only is baseball America's past time, but it is a major Burton past time too. I can't wait till one day we get to go to Wrigley together...

3 comments:

Amberlin Gefrom said...

aww Ash how fun! I can't believe how fast your boys are growing up! I was so happy to read the part about letting jack have a soda..away from normal eating habits because I know I am going to be the same way..I am currently trying to apply that principle with my husband..hahah

3+Love~aki=Us said...

What a blast! That's seemed like you guys had such a great time with your in-laws. It's good to see that you guys are doing well :)

3+Love~aki=Us said...

So...first of all sorry for the grammar. Secondly, of course you can add our name to your blog list! I'm so grateful that we live in an age were this type of technology in available! I wanted to say that Jack looks just like you! Crazy how we're all grown up!