My History

Friday, September 5, 2008

Rewarded



I love being a mom (yes folks it's another one of those kinds of posts... sorry... but not sorry enough to stop. I really do think of this blog as for posterity...)

I have had a really rough week. Things with the apartments have been abnormally busy, and I have been worried about Corey (current BAD headache is going on three weeks and not showing any signs of letting up) and I have been tired and frustrated.

I love my kids don't get me wrong, but sometimes at the end of the day in a week like this I am just SO tired, and instead of wanting to play games or do all our bedtime stuff I want to veg in front of the TV.

Normally the best one on one time opportunity that I have with Jack though is after Alaster goes to bed and before it is his turn. I am uninterrupted by work and he and I have some alone time together. Unfortunately this is also when I am at the heighth of my most tiredness-ness (is that a word?).

However, relying on my commitment to, and love for the child, instead of watching the TV tonight I decided to teach Jack a little game. It was nothing fancy, we each had a car and took turns hiding it for the other to find. Then we did a few pages from his pre-school book, read books and because I couldn't find his little picture book of mormon to read out of I grabbed the nursery manual and we had a little chat about caring for our bodies, brushed his teeth and then it was time for prayers...

So if you read the last post I did about prayers I am sorry to tell you that it hasn't gotten much better since then. Then tonight as he was saying his prayer it was like all the sudden he got it. He said a completely non-rehearsed and sweet little prayer. In the prayer he thanked Heavenly Father for mommy and playing hiding the car game and asked Him to help him take care of His body.

What a payoff. I felt like our hard work at teaching him how to pray finally worked, that he actually listened to the lesson I tried to teach him tonight, and of course my heart totally melted when he thanked Heavenly Father for us being able to play together.

I am really glad that Heavenly Father strengthened me to be able to turn off the TV and play with him. I am also SO thankful that Heavenly Father gives us commandments. I have thought a lot about the blessings of commandments lately, and how they show us that Heavenly Father really does care... He didn't leave us to just figure it out for ourselves. He's our biggest fan and wants us to be successful.

Even doing just the minimum with Jack each night really does bring the spirit into our home, and strengthens the relationship of love between all of us. I feel more love for Jack when I am teaching him the gospel or obeying any other commandments that Heavenly Father has given us as parents. I hope that doesn't sound like I don't just always love him. I do, but when I teach him it's like my feelings are magnified because I remember what a precious little person Heavenly Father blessed me to take care of, and I just don't want to mess up... I want to give him everything he needs. I want him to learn the gospel, follow it, and be HAPPY. It's kind of a complex emotion to try and write out in a way that will make sense. Maybe some of you other parents will get it. Actually maybe you will get it even if you aren't a parent... it's kind of like serving other people in a calling... your love that you already had for them grows because on top of your love, you feel the love Heavenly Father has for them too. You know how special they REALLY are.

I am glad that as parents we have the chance to feel these kinds of things, and learn these important lessons. I am thankful to know that Heavenly Father and Jesus will strengthen us to be able to do what they have asked us to do if we rely on Them. I am grateful also for those little moments that make all the hard work worth it, because certainly they ARE worth it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What an amazing and sweet post Ash. You are a choice daughter of our Father in Heaven. I can feel it as you write. Your boys are so lucky and blessed to have you for a mother. I know your own mother smiles down on you from up above. I love you and your example of righteous mothering! God Bless you. I hope Corey gets over his headache! I will keep you all in my prayers.

Cal and Whit said...

That was such a neat post! I loved it and I am grateful for the sweet example of a mother that you are to me.