My History

Friday, December 5, 2008

Favorite

I'm kind of hesitant when if comes to using the word "Favorite," with things. It's so be-all, end-all you know? It's easy for me to give a group of favorites. Books for instance: I can easily rattle off those (in no particular order):

Gone with the Wind
Little Women
Harry Potter Series
Jane Eyre
To Kill a Mockingbird
etc.

Leave it nice and open... pick out the really good ones, but allow room for growth and the possibility that I left one out. But to choose ONE FAVORITE, is a big deal.

However, I have decided tonight that in one category of my life I have a favorite. It's a movie.

A BE-ALL, END-ALL, HANDS DOWN, UNEQUIVOCALLY, THIS IS THE ONE, AND I AM CERTAIN THAT NOTHING WILL EVER BEAT IT... FAVORITE

Curious???
It's the 1994 Classic:

Every year when it starts to get cold outside and cozy inside I break it out. I watch it all alone by preference. (I cry like a BABY!!!)

I still remember the first time I ever saw it. It was on VHS then, and it was given to me for my birthday by Mary Bishop. I remember peeking into the package to see what she had gotten me. It was a magical moment. (okay that's a bit dramatic, but I do actually remember that moment)

I love equisitely everything about it. I love the music. I love the look and feel of it. I love all the details and beautiful shots of every day pretty things in nature and around the home. I love the time period. I love the way they talk. I would KILL to live in that house. But most of all I love the story.

I identify with some part of it each and every time that I watch. I cry at all the same parts, never failing to be touched by them, but I cry harder at some parts more than others depending on what is going on in my life or where my thoughts are.

Tonight I realized that Beth is the third daughter in the family. Elizabeth. Just like my mom. (How I never noticed that before I'm really not sure seeing as how I adore both the movie AND the book) In the scene where Mr. Lawrence gives Beth the piano there is a moment where it shows the three other sisters all huddled around the secret as they watch Beth come into the room. The look on their faces struck me as oddly familiar and sweet. Then it hit me. Needless to say I was a total wreck as I watched the other three sisters care for and love Beth.

That's just what's so great about this movie. So much of REAL life in it. And not just real life, but the really GOOD parts of life. The parts that we should cherish and hold dear.

MMMM. I just love it.

Favorite. For sure.

3 comments:

coryshay said...

Ok I loved this post! You said everything that I feel about this movie! I gave the movie and book to my little sisters. I'm glad it's not just me! This started my love of Christian bale and I named my baby after jo and I love the hymn "for the beauty of the earth" because of this movie. I still have a vhs copy though. I'm going to get it on DVD.

Rebecca said...

I have to agree. That move is so moving and beautiful -I love how you related it to your mom. :)

deemom said...

Oh Ashlee, How we love your mama. We miss her terribly especially on candy day SINCE NONE of us learned how to make the white fudge. love aunt deedee