My History

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

(Corey and Ashlee - Chicago Temple - October 10, 2009)

I had six full hours alone in the car with my husband.
Six full hours with nothing to do but talk.
We talked about our family and the things we love about both precious boys.
We talked about how very much we care about them and the things we hope to give them in this short time that they will live in our home.
We talked about their secular education.
We talked about teaching them the gospel.
We talked about developing their talents and giving them opportunities for growth and fulfillment.
We talked about preparing them to face our rapidly decaying world and sheltering their fragile innocence.
We talked about not just wanting them to survive, but wanting them to use their voices to make a difference.
We talked about many wide and varied fears.
We reassured ourselves with our faith.
We were sad about the atrocities that happen in the world and felt humbled and blessed to be born here, and to know the truth.
We contemplated how hard it must be to be President Monson, prophet not only of the church, but of the whole world.
We talked nitty-gritty details about what kind of parents we want to be, discussed things we remember about our own childhoods, and the good examples of many others we desire to emulate.
We made plans and determinations.
We talked about our blessings.
We talked about our love.
We talked about our deepest desires to be strong.

Then after all this talking, we entered the House of the Lord.
Much sought for inspiration came to both of us.
It wasn't what I expected, but it was so much more important.

I love being part of my family.
I love that I married a man who cares as much as I do.
I love that I know who he truly is better than anyone else in the world.
I love the moments when I feel like we are acting, not just reacting, when it comes to deciding what our life will be.
I accept that we haven't always been this way, and recognize how fragile faith is.
I feel like something crucial has changed for the better.
I am more committed, and I am happier.
There is so, so much to be grateful for, and so, so much important work to do.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

How wonderful! You two are so amazing and I can see you and your family being the people who make differences.

deemom said...

That was so beautiful. Thanks for all you share and do and WHO you are at the very core of you. What a challenging world we live in and WOW what a job you are doing!!! love you, miss you LOTS AND LOTS, love aunt deedee

katers said...

Wow. I can't really say much about that except beautiful picture, and I MISS YOU!

Cal and Whit said...

What a neat post Ash! I love it! What a great day! Your posts always make me think, and I loved this one for that very reason! Also, Cute pic!

Shalon said...

This post was inspiring. Thank you so much for your words and for your amazing example.

Autumn said...

It has been a LONG time since I have checked up on you. By the looks of your gorgeous photos everything looks great. I think about you guys often. Your hair is getting longer and it looks darling. Love ya!