My History

Monday, November 16, 2009

Meet Tom Turkey

Ain't he a doll?
I stole the idea from HERE but I think ours has a bit more character thanks to Corey. We made ours with a hugie tin can instead of a vegetable can too. I wanted a big turkey.
Corey and I wanted to name him something a bit more interesting than Tom but the children wouldn't hear of it.
Tyrone? "No, TOM." Terrence? "No, TOM." Terry? "No, TOM." Yeah... you're right. Terry is stupid. TOM it is.
We had an FHE last week about gratitude. We talked about D&C 59:7 and about the Ten Lepers. We also discussed how we can show Heavenly Father we are grateful. We sang thankful songs and had a thankful FHE treat:
Sometimes I try and do festive FHE treats instead of sugary treats. The boys are usually more excited about the creative ones... and I definitely am. They gobbled this guy up while I cut out feathers for Tom. The boys helped with the gluing, and some of the creative decisions. We put on some fun music and had a great night.
Tom is more than just decorative... he's a way to help us think about and record our blessings. When we have a moment where we are truly, truly thankful for something Heavenly Father has blessed us with... we pull a slip out of the vase that sits beside him, write it down and toss it in. You are not allowed to put a slip in unless you really mean it... like you took a few seconds and let yourself feel it... you know? You can't just write it down because you know you should be thankful for it... or it's a blessing that everyone names all the time... none of that people.
On Thanksgiving we will pull them out and read. I'll probably post about the results.
The boys have LOVED Tom Turkey. They always refer to him as "Tom Turkey." Not just Tom... although Jack did ask if he could call him "Tommy."
After the FHE was over and we had all written and deposited a slip or two in Tom the boys said their farewells as they went to bed:
"Goodnight Tom Turkey!"
"Ya Yoo! Tom Turkey!" (love you Tom Turkey)
"See you tomorrow Tom Turkey!"
Now he sits on our fridge waiting for us to deposit our little thankful moments.

5 comments:

Karen said...

so cute! I love how you come up with creative ways to do treats! I just threw away an empty cannery rice can I have had in my cupboard forever because it was taking up too much space! I just went and dug it out...not kidding. Just because I was so attracted to Tom I think I might make him a girlfriend. Tommitta. Hey, the link did't work where's the idea from??

Autumn said...

Fantastic idea! I want to a Tom Turkey can year round. Maybe you can dress him as Santa and keep him around the house too for more than just Thanksgiving! I am thankful to you for the idea!

Rebecca said...

Ok, here's the deal. We need to work something out where we reserve one of your boys for one of my girls... Their mother does EVERYTHING right! :)

Amberlin Gefrom said...

awww how cute!! and yes I totally miss the cold and and the snow..its such a beautiful thing. People shouldn't take it for granted or hate it because its so peaceful and beautiful

Cal and Whit said...

What a fun creative Family Home Evening! I am loving that Jack asked if he can call him Tommy! That is so funny! I love this idea. Very cute!