I was sustained as the second counselor in the new Relief Society Presidency at Church today. The new president thought we should all take a moment before the lesson in RS to introduce ourselves and share a brief testimony.
I mustered through it okay... I made a few stupid jokes like I usually do when I'm nervous as I told a bit about our fam', and then I tried to condense my very large testimony of Relief Society into just a few small words. That part came out alright except that I wanted to say and convey so much more.
All week I have pondered the blessing that Relief Society has been in my life. I have let my mind wander through very distant-but-still-warm memories recalling certain sisters that have touched and served and strengthened me from the time I was a child all the way through to adulthood. It seems to me that through every major trial, every major change, and every wonderful celebration life has held for me, the Relief Society and it's members have been there. They have cried with me, encouraged me, taught me, cheered me on, and helped. I thought of powerful talks given by General Presidency members at Conference, and beautiful lessons given in small wards that have literally changed my life. I pondered the opportunities to serve that have come to me as a result of being a member, and how my testimony grew rapidly during those times. I have thought of the completely unique nature and noble history of the Relief Society... how it came to be and how Joseph said that the restoration wasn't complete until the women were organized. I have thought of the Relief Society's great potential for good in this world not only to bless the other members but to impact and serve society at large. But mostly... I have thought of how Relief Society has impacted little ol' me.
Needless to say my heart has been completely full and wonderfully inspired.
I told the sisters in RS today that if anything qualifies me for service in the Lord's Kingdom, and for Relief Society service particularly, it is the overwhelming debt I owe to Him and to the people who have served me in my life. For those of you who read this blog and really know me and my family history you will know what I mean. The most emotional times for me this week came as I was alone, and I reverently remembered the Sisters in the home ward that I grew up in, and all they did for my family. Oh how I love them! And oh how much I owe them! What wonderful examples I will have to lean on as I try and serve others the way that they and many others have served me.
I truly, truly love Relief Society. I am so thankful and proud to be a member.
I wish I had a badge to wear or something.
And even though I know there are so many others in my ward who would do this job better than me, I am so very grateful for the chance to serve.
2 comments:
You will be soooo awesome in that job!
Shayla
Beautiful...Ashley, thank you for bearing your testimony here...I often forget about THIS beautiful gift, and I condone...had it not been for this organization and one great lady in RS, I wonder how I would have made it to where I am today. I too am blessed because of this and I'm sooo jealous of your RS members...they are so lucky to have you! We truly miss you here in our YW!
Post a Comment