My History

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Good or Bad Mom?????


Aly doesn't like to practice things.
One of his most used phrases (unfortunately) is "I can't do it!"
This has caused many conversations between Corey and I, and many different approaches to help our boy.
So what was I to do when he came to me with a piece of paper that he had WRITTEN LETTERS on?
The writing letters part? Wonderful! He tried something that he normally says he can't do!
The not so great part? He wrote the word "poop," and we are also very much discouraging potty humor.
So what do I do? Get after him for the word? Praise the effort? A combo of both?
I went with: praise-the-effort-with-all-my-might, point out each letter individually, and totally ignore the fact it says "poop," when you put all those individual letters together, approach.
I played stupid... or at least... non-observant.

And I can't help but wonder what people must think if they overhear me saying an energetic "So Long Stupid!" to Jack as I leave for work...
It started with an old timey cartoon of a bird who outwits a cat who is trying to eat him. The bird flies away and in the funniest voice says "So long Stupid!"
Jack and I watched it together and both cracked up at that part.
And an inside joke was born.
He says it to me... I say it to him... we laugh... you get the idea.
Now normally, the word "stupid," would not be allowed.
But I am totally allowing it.

So... does all this make me a horrible mother?
Maybe some of you would have handled these things differently because that's the kind of mother you are.
I guess this is just the kind of mother I am.

PS: Have you read THIS ? Corey and I studied it on Sunday night, with real intent... in every possible meaning of those words. We are trying so very hard to do our best for our boys, and I am incredibly grateful when we get such direct and applicable advice!
Here's to being better!

3 comments:

Pokemon said...

Oh, I can so relate. In so many ways. I have a little perfectionist. If he can't do it well and do it well the first time then most of the time he's not going to do it. He is quite smart and does very well at those types of things so when other things don't come as easily we have break downs at our house. Ahhh!

Now to the potty talk. Oh boy. Need I say more. Trying to get rid of that one. Especially now that it is being passed between children. Not good.

And oh that talk. Oh, how I love
that talk. I have read it many, many times. So good. You might like two posts I wrote that have included this talk - http://becominglds.blogspot.com/search/label/Becoming

I still have my brain churning over it and many others.

coryshay said...

I love that talk! In fact, I have been reading a christian parenting book recommended to me by my non lds friend and the first part of the book I was highlighting like crazy and writing things in the margins and having huge light bulb moments. Then that night, I read this talk and I realized why it all seemed so right. They were saying the exact same thing in different ways. It was so nice to "get it" like that. Now here's to application!

Rachel and Todd said...

Oh, goodness. I love seeing the adorable pictures of your little men, and all your stories. That's so funny Aly chose to write the word poop. Did he point it out to you? Or did ignoring it totally work? Todd and I both laughed out loud at the "So Long Stupid!" story. We'd love to see that video. Oh, and you are a great mom. Your boys love you, it's obvious, and you love them, it's even more obvious. Great mom. GREAT mom.