Gram took the boys shopping for their school lists and shoes.
Our lesson focused on 4 main points that the boys need to remember to have a successful school year. We played a game with objects that represented lessons that we need them to know.
It was a good time! The boys did a great job listening, and had wonderful ideas themselves. I can't tell you how pleased I was that when we got to the phone- Aly and Jack both remembered: their mom and dad's full names, both of our phone #'s, AND their complete address. We taught them those close to when we moved in, and I am so impressed that they still remember!
We also had the obligatory talk about bodies. It's not the funnest conversation because it makes us think of all the horrible things that can happen... BUT... it felt so good to prepare them and feel empowered as a parent to guide and protect them. (This wasn't the first time we have addressed this subject, and thankfully I can report it is getting easier each time.) As part of the conversation we even talked about how to avoid seeing inappropriate pictures of other peoples bodies. Yep, that's right. The sad truth is that pornography is in elementary schools these days whether we like it or not, and we must not send them to school unprepared!
(Lest you worry... Jack has not come up against anything even close to this yet, but we know the possibility is there, and we want to cover all of our bases. The worst thing he learned at school last year happened the last week of school. He came home and asked what "ass," was. It is actually a really sweet and funny story. Ask me sometime and I'll tell you about it!)
Thankfully, not the entire lesson was that heavy. We had lots of fun too, and I know it's going to be a great year!
In other news, Truman turned 2 months old yesterday! To celebrate he gave me a little gift: He made it through one entire bath and even getting out/lotioned/dressed etc. WITHOUT CRYING! This is front page news people!
3 comments:
I keep trying to figure out if those pictures are of Truman or of Ally at that age...he is just so darling! I love your back to school home evening too!
Your mustached men look darling and I do agree that you were robbed of the victory.
Also, I love your Back to School FHE idea. In fact, I am stealing your idea (hope that's okay). :)
The bottom left picture is my favorite smile :) oh I wanna kiss those cheeks. :)
Post a Comment