My History

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Birthday Party Report

Well... yesterday went fantastically well.
Jack was so sweet and appreciative, and we think the kids all had a great time. I asked Jack on a scale of 1-10 how his party was and he rated it "whichever one means the very best party ever," which made the late nights and errands run worth it.

Without further ado, here's how it went down.

First, invitations (made by Corey of course) were sent out to his friendsies:

I thought they turned out great! He was disappointed in them because of the way/order that he worded it, but I think only the person who makes them notices details like that!
The night before the party we decided to put ourselves in the right mood so the boys got to stay up super late watching "The Empire Strikes Back." They have only seen "A New Hope," so this was pretty exciting stuff. I had never seen E S B either, but since there was still plenty of party prep to do I only caught glimpses. Seemed good! Jack did declare some portions "inappropriate," so during those parts they did some "Jedi Training."

The next day at noon all the kiddos started to arrive. We took 'Jedi Pose' pictures (Aly's was my favorite!) and the boys played with their Sabres till lunch got started. Letting the boys bring their Light Sabres was a good idea. Due to the party coinciding with Spring Break there were only a few boys so it was manageable enough. And what would a Star Wars Party be without Light Sabres, I ask you?

As the boys played Truman woke up and Daddy gave him a quick, very needed bath. He came downstairs and just stared at the chaos with his wet curly hair. Uncle Tyler and Grampa helped him warm up after a while:


We served a lunch of Cheese Pizza, Fruit and Veggie Light Sabres and Yoda Soda aka... 7up. Jack chose the plates and such to be in the colors of Light Sabres. Looks good Jack!

Yumm!!

After lunch we did the Pinata.

Jack and I did the first layer of the papier machet together which is a memory that I will never forget, we had so much fun! The remaining layers I completed at night while the boys were sleeping. Corey figured out how to hang it and provided the artistic touches.

To explain the pic with Truman: We cut out a circle and inverted it to make the crater-gun-thingy (I'm not a Star Wars nerd, I don't know what it's called!). While the circle was out it made a great hat! It made Truman a bit nervous but we got a kick out of it:

They all got one turn hitting by themselves but ultimately banded together to destroy it!


Destroying a Death Star builds ones appetite and it was time for more refreshment. Enter Dessert Table:

Thank you Corey for the table signs and Gram for some last second Leia buns! And here are some close ups of the desserts I made:

The Yoda Sherbert Heads were a big hit! They were not on the table and didn't have a sign because I assembled them last minute and brought them out to each boy.

As we ate dessert the last child came too :)

I am sorry to report we have no pictures of singing to Jack and him blowing out his #7 candle on the Storm Trooper Cake. We recorded a video and forgot any pictures! Rats! Here they are enjoying the treats though...

You would think that much dessert would be total overkill, but there was hardly any leftover by the end of the party!

While we cleaned up the last of the food there was more battling in the living room. This time Grandpa joined in!

Since Jack is so in to paper folding of all kinds it seemed appropriate to incorporate that into the party. We made Origami Yoda's! To make your own go get THIS book! Instructions come in the back (not for the cover art yoda though... it's a simplified version).


I did a pretty horrible job instructing them, I'm sorry to say! I practiced the night before and it turned out much better. I think I was a little flustered the day of. Darn it! They still turned out great though boys!

After Origami Jack opened his presents. I don't normally include those pictures but there were a few things I thought Jack would want to remember in the coming years...

Daddy gave Jack a REAL hammer to do projects with him this summer... Gram and Grampa gave him a REAL computer (Leap Pad Explorer)... Uncle Tyler serendipitously gave him the Origami Yoda book and it's sequel... Uncle Casey and Aunt Kristine gave him a totally awesome keyboard... and Corey and I finally gave him the real helicopter he's been dying to have!

Add friend gifts too and I'd say that kid made out like a bandit! Good thing he is sweet and doesn't act spoiled even though he clearly is.

Funny side note to this next collage... Gram and Grampa also gave him an entire ream of paper and a colored pack of card stock. That ought to keep him busy for a while!

He loved it Aunty and Uncle! He's played with it a lot today too!

I know the party wasn't about Truman, but I just had to post these pictures too. He sure loves Gram and Grampa and Uncle Tyler. They wore him out with all the playing and fun! And it was fun to show off his new tricks ie- Gram got a few kisses, and they got to see his cheeser-camera face-smile. I have never seen a baby so little be able to cheese it like that for the camera. He whips it out as soon as he sees the thing pointed at him. Hilarious!

So there we were... finished up with presents... just playing around... when suddenly the IMPERIAL MARCH came blasting ominously overhead. Before the young Jedi's knew what was happening Darth Vader himself descended the stairs!

(Thank you Rachel for loaning us the CD! It completed the moment perfectly!)


It was a tough battle but the forces of good prevailed in the end!

All that was left was to play until parents arrived.

As guests left Jack thanked them for coming with a treat bag filled with candy from the pinata, punch balls and noise makers (Jack's idea), and a set of instructions and extra paper to make Origami Yoda's at home.

And that's it folks! It was a blast!
We had so much fun talking about, planning, working on and finally experiencing the party together as a family. Such fun memories! I just love party days!

Truth be told though we were pretty worn out by the end. I didn't even make dinner... we just snacked until bedtime. After everyone left we just chilled and finally took a family trip to Target.
I love Jack in this picture (except the fact that he still has pizza on his face. Where was his mother?!?):

Last but not least: Thank you to all of our UT and NM family! We wish you could have been with us to celebrate, but Jack sure enjoyed your phone calls and cards! XOXO!

Happy Birthday Dear Jack-O! We love you more than words can say.

PS- 20 Gold Stars to anyone who read this massive post. 22 Collages?!? Yep. 22. Deal with it because I just don't know how to do it any other way!

9 comments:

Alysa Stewart said...

sweet, 20 gold stars for me! it looks like it was such a blast! I love the idea of the death-star pinata and hitting it with light sabers! Really ALL of the details are awesome. A party to remember. (Plus awesome that he now has a copy that hasn't been chewed on by a mystery dog!)

katers said...

I've been anxiously awaiting this post!!! What a FABULOUS birthday! You are so the coolest mom ever.

BTW, I hope at some point during the day Corey said in his best Darth Vader voice, "Jack, I am your father!"

love you guys!!!

Sara Newton said...

Michael's first quote: Looks like a pretty cool party for a boy.
Michael's quote #2: This makes me want to have a boy...there are some things that a man can only share with his son. Grace will never get Star Wars.

Thanks...now the stakes are a little high! :) I'm pretty impressed as well.
And PS. I get 20 gold stars as well...

Brittney Richards said...

I've always wondered how you even make those collages. They are pretty awesome. Happy Birthday Jack.

Todd said...

I'm looking for someone to host my B-Day party, and I've chosen the Burton Family. Please mark your calendars for May 2. Thanks so much!

-Todd

coryshay said...

You are the best mom ever! Loved the whole thing! I would have loved to see the entrance of Darth Vader1

Amberlin Gefrom said...

Um...can I come to your kids next birthday party? You think I am kidding but I am not...

Unknown said...

Yet another AMAZING party, Ashlee! Those treats (and their names) cracked me up!! I'm sure the boys had a blast of a time!

deemom said...

First off 20 gold stars to me..... WHAT A PARTY and the rest of the world just got a silly old parade..... maybe some fireworks BUT NO YODA!!!!!.... I loved talking to Jack while you were in the Target.... he was so PSYCHED about that helicopter.... love aunt deedee