My History

Thursday, June 7, 2012

We Have Ourselves A Walker!!!

Anyone who knows Truman well can tell you that this kid has been itching to walk for months.
He can crawl, yes. But his preferred method has always been walking.
We had several weeks where if he was not attached to my fingers, he was angry.
He wanted to be walking, walking walking all the time!

(I love the progressiveness in that collage! That teeter did indeed end in a fall as you may have guessed)

I had been easing him away from needing my fingers, slowly moving from two hands to one... from two fingers to one... encouraging him to let go and see what happened...

Then one day he did it!

(This picture isn't his exact first step, but it's pretty close! After he did it once we were able to get him to repeat the effort quickly in order to snag this.)

The story of what we count as his first official steps is pretty darling.

He had been playing around with it here and there, but all independent steps were the result of me removing my fingers and him taking one or two on his own before plopping down. He hadn't initiated any. Well one day we happened to all be home. Corey was sick and Jack was out of school. We were gathered in the living room. Baby was standing with hands resting on the blue ottoman that protects him from getting to the stairs and I was sitting on the floor across from him. Corey and I were saying how we were sure he could walk over to me if he really wanted to.
So I asked... "Baby! Come see me! Walk to mommy!"
And he did! It took about 7 or 8 steps and he was safely in my arms!

And the rest is history...

Within a matter of days he became confident and daring.

I love that we were all in the room to witness the momentous occasion. We were all so delighted and proud! And it must be said that his walk is completely adorable. He keeps his stance wide as he walks, sumo style, which we totally love. Jack and I also love it when he just stands in one place for a really long time. It's so funny!

Three cheers for the liberated, independent baby! No longer a slave to my fingers, ready to conquer the world! Or at least the living room... :)

***Post Publish Edit: My Auntie just left a comment wondering the date etc. of the first step. Good reminder that I need to keep on top of those things! His first official steps were taken Monday, May 28th. He was 11 1/2 mo. old! Also: It occurred to me that I failed to mention that within one week of his first steps he has basically conquered all of the skills you look for with walking! As in... he can walk, stop, and then walk again without falling. He can turn while he walks, he can stop, pick up a toy, and start walking again... also all without falling! He's a pro! I forgot that usually it takes kids a while to develop those other aspects... It did with J and A at least :) K. That's all!

6 comments:

katers said...

YAY HOORAY!!! What a big boy!! I'm so proud and he's not even mine. Give him a big hug and a kiss for me as congratulations. :)

Crys said...

Cute!

Kiersten said...

Hooray Truman! What a cute little walker!

Natalie said...

I love those pictures so much. I can just imagine them in motion! What was the day/how old was he when he did it?

deemom said...

OH the toddler stage. LOVED THE WHOLE THING.. Miss you all terrible.. love aunt deedee

Emily Dawn said...

ash, i love those legs. that kid is nice and round. how fun it is to have him walking:)