My History

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Today's Birthday

Do you know whose birthday it is today???
President Monson!

We actually celebrated his big day during an earlier FHE this month.
We spent the day talking about President Monson and his wonderful example.
I told the boys how once, when asked what the members of the church could give him for his birthday, he responded:

"Do something for someone else on that day to make his or her life better. Find someone who is having a hard time or is ill or lonely, and do something for them. That's all I would ask."

We had been reading in The Friend some wonderful stories of President Monson's family and how they taught him by example the importance of service. I told them about how great President Monson is himself at giving loving service to others, and then we brainstormed about how our family could make his birthday wish come true.
That afternoon I made this triple-layer cake from a recipe also found in the Friend. President Monson's mom made a cake like this every Sunday night. When he was a boy President Monson would deliver a piece of it along with a plate of dinner to an elderly single gentlemen in their ward.

It's been a long time since I have made both a cake and it's frosting from scratch. It was fun!

During Daddy's break from work we gave President Monson our gift (We gave service... but it was the secret kind so I can't tell you about it!) then we came home, sang Happy Birthday to him, and cut it open! What a thrill! The colors really were so fun.

Daddy took some with him to work, and after the boys and I ate dinner we ate some too :)

Happy Birthday President Monson! We love you!

2 comments:

Kiersten said...

That cake looks really good. Are the separate layers different flavors, too, or just different colors?

Sara Newton said...

We were talking about President Monson's birthday yesterday too! Although, I didn't have an oven to make a cake (we're still waiting for our stuff to arrive in NY). But we celebrated by going to the DC temple. I felt like that was ok too...I'm glad your cake turned out so well!