My History

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Tom the Turkey- Year 4

Do you remember Tom Turkey?  I introduced you to him 4 years ago HERE.  And told you the results of that first year HERE.

The next 2 years we also did Tom Turkey, but I failed to "spill his guts," on the blog. I'm pretty sad about that fact so this year I wanted to be sure and record what everyone was thankful for.

I give you!  Tom Turkey!  Year 4!

I pulled him out one night while the boys were asleep.  When Aly woke up and came down he said "Woah!!!  Who is that cute guy?!?"  Apparently the past 3 years have slipped his memory...

We held a Gratitude-themed  FHE to get things started and then off we went!
This year we recorded blessings after scripture study (although we weren't perfect about doing it every night!)
And before you see the big list I thought I'd show you a few of the boys contributions in their own handwriting.  Aly's handwriting is really improving!:


We read the papers aloud a few days after Thanksgiving. We were supposed to do it Thanksgiving morning but it didn't work out that way.  Woops! The boys had so much fun reading them.  I loved hearing them say "Good one!" to each other, and seeing how pleased they were when one was about them. We laughed at many of the answers, and others were very sweet and touching.

And by way of explanation, I didn't want to forget who gave what answers, so there is a letter next to each one explaining who had written it.  A for Aly, J for Jack, M for Mommy, and D for Daddy.

Without Further Ado... Here's what we were grateful for this year:

Tom's feathers - A 
my Grandma - A 
Heavenly Father - A 
candy/other treats - J 
girls nights and my amazing friends - M 
all my blessings - A 
how baby eats - A 
repentance and the sacrament - M 
my baby - A 
Corey's listening skills - M 
I'm happy for my dad - A
my friends - A 
the temple - D 
my clementines - A 
my toys - A 
Ashlee, the nicest woman in the world - D 
our beautiful world and all it's variety - M 
myself - A 
Jack's jokes - D 
stinky Jack - D 
family - J 
my baby - A 
my house - A 
piano - J 
my CTR ring - A 
my beautiful life! - M 
my bike and the one who bought it - J 
Truman's hair - D 
holidays/birthdays - J 
toilets - J 
my jobs - D 
Heavenly Father/Jesus - J 
pumpkin - J 
Ashlee, the most beautiful woman in the world - D 
my super warm and comfy bed - M 
blogs, cell phones, email - M 
our awesome ward family - M 
Aly's classic one liners that make us all laugh - M 
opportunities to serve - M 
J and A's fantastic primary teachers and leaders - M
my kitchen - A 
spider - J 
ocean - J 
Truman's floofy head - M 
smelly Alaster - D 
Truman's fluffy head - A 
that Corey's hugs make me feel better no matter what! - M 
snow - D 
awesome parenting talks from conference - M 
kisses from Truman - M 
the Savior - M 
pizza/granola bars - J 
the funny things Alaster says - D 
stinky feet - J 
Alaster sharing so much about school with me - M 
our extended family near and far - M 
stinky stuff - J 
conversations with Whitney - M 
my mom - A 
our house - J 
my healthy body - M 
that Jack is becoming a better and better big brother - M 
snake - J 
the commandments - M 
my santa hat - A 
Alaster's laugh - D 
my wifey (so pretty) - D 
holidays and family traditions - M 
my gray hair - D 
Tom the Turkey - A 
hugs - J 
math - J 
my testimony - M 
Chuman (what he thinks he really should have been named...)- A 
on the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me 1 bunny, 2 crackers, 3 turkeys, 4 big fat apples, 5 big bananas - J 
chocolate - J
 mom dad - A 
fruit yummy yum yum yum - J 
how baby laughed - A 
Alaster's tender heart - M 
how hard J and A work at school - M 
my school - A 
all my body parts - J 
my Grandpa - A 
my scriptures - A 
school - J 
Tom the Turkey (yes, again... he wanted to write this one every night) - A 
the beautiful language of the scriptures - M 
family - A 
our home - D 
that Corey tries so hard and serves so well in his callings - M 
the dishwasher!!! - M 
candles - J 
recent blessings with Corey's work - M 
Truman's chubby cheeks - A 
how Truman needs me and that I get to hold and comfort him - M

As I read these tonight it strikes me that by no means is this list complete. What a wonderful, wonderful thing to realize.  We are so blessed!

1 comment:

Kiersten said...

I love this tradition! We usually just talk about what we are grateful for at Thanksgiving before we say the dinner prayer, but I like this way of thinking about gratitude all month long much better. Plus Tom is cute, to boot.

You have no idea how many traditions/ideas I am stealing from your blog. Watch out in years to come as I do all of my copycat Burton family activities.