My History

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Question...

So today was kind of a step backwards wtih potty training. Jack had been doing really well then this morning he had an accident on the carpet... so I whip out the carpet cleaner to clean it up. Well, Jack unfortunately thought it was "SO COOL," and started intentionally peeing on the carpet so that he could see the bubbles, and blow on it, and he wanted to help wipe it up etc. Well when I figured out what was going on the rule became: you have to go to your bedroom and stay there whilst I clean it all up... it seemed to help a little.

Also today he figured out that he could manipulate the treat system by stopping himself before he was completely finished, get a treat, then turn around and go right back and finish just so that he could do it again and get another treat. It's a time AND treat waster. This one I am not so sure what to do about because any kid who can stop himself mid-stream clearly has enough control to be able to do it. I just know that the treats are the only thing motivating him to want to use the potty. It's not an "I don't know how to do this." issue, it's an "I only want to do this when there are treats involved." issue. So I can't cut the treats out... what is a mom to do?

2 comments:

Lindsi said...

I know I shouldn't think this but I think it is funny he was intentionally peeing on the carpet! I know it wasn't funny for you but your son is pretty dang smart. I know I am not a parent but I am a teacher and my students often are only motivated by their treats and rewards. One thing I do is a limit the amount of treats or rewards they can have in a certain amount of time. So you could say he can only have one every hour or 30 minutes or something like that even if he goes to the bathroom 4 times in that 30 minutes he only gets 1 treat. It works for a few of my students. Just an idea. Also, I'm happy my post brought some joy to you and your husband. :)

coryshay said...

I am sorry to say, but it had to be expected that you would have kids with PERSONALITY!! Coming from the 2 of you, I don't know how anyone could think otherwise. This is the best story ever. (You probably don't think so right now but it gave me a big chuckle.) And I have no experience, so I have no advice! Sorry! I'm sure you'll do something fabulous-you're a good mom!