I am always on the look out for new, yummy, healthy recipes, and I promised Whit that I would share some good ones that I find on my Blog. I hope that some of the rest of you will like them too :)
Spice Crusted Shrimp Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
(Shayla if you are wondering this is page 362 in our Better Homes Dieting Book)
1 pound fresh or frozen peeled, deveined medium shrimp
2 cloves minced garlic
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Cooking Spray
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon lime juice
4 cups shredded cabbage or torn mixed greens
1 medium carrot coarsley shredded
1/2 medium cucumber halved and sliced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Thaw shrimp if frozen. Rinse and pat dry. Combine garlic through pepper and toss shrimp in to coat.
Lightly coat non-stick skillet with spray. Preheat skillet to medium. Add half of shrimp. Cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until shrimp is opaque. Romove from skillet. Add oil to skillet. Cook remaining shrimp for 2-3 minutes or until opaque. Return all shrimp to skillet, add lime juice and heat through.
Serve over tossed cabbage, carrot and cucumber, sprinkle with cilantro.
Cilantro Lime Dressing
combine:
1/3 cup low-fat mayo
1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
1-2 tablespoons milk to make desired consistency
****Chef Ashlee's Notes****
I am not a huge fan of this dressing... the cilantro is a great flavor with the shrimp- but I thought that just a normal dressing would have been better with it. I think next time I make it I will just have Catalina or Ranch on it.
Shrimp can be kind of expensive, but we got it on sale, and both Corey and I agreed that it was so filling you don't eat very much and so it's not actually that much more than like chicken or hanburger- a little goes a long way.
Finally... don't skip the cucumber. It was really good. No grocery stores have good ones right now- but Costco sells english cucumbers that are always excellent. They come in a three pack so after the recipe you have lots for healthy snacks during the week. Jack LOVES cucumbers.
Ashlee Bran Muffins
1 and 1/4 cups oat bran
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 beaten egg
3/4 cup 100% apples applesauce
1/2 cup fat free milk
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon oil
Oats
Combine dry ingredients in bowl and make a well. Combine wet ingredients. Add to dry until just moistened. Grease your muffin tins. Spoon evenly into the cups. Sprinkle tops with Oats.
Cook in a 400 degree oven until toothpick comes out clean. (Usually 12-14 minutes) Makes 10-12 muffins depending on how big you like them.
Chef Ashlee's Notes
This recipe is super healthy and such a yummy snack or breakfast. I have made them for lots of people who always comment on how they are really yummy and don't even taste like a health food kind of recipe. They are just really good.
Black Bean Soup
Click here for the recipe and a picture. Shayla sent me this one and we really like it. Goes great with cornbread!
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I haven't tried that one out from our new dieters cookbook-I love that cookbook by the way. I especially love the Tetrazini (Sp?) in that book. And I'm glad you like the black bean soup-it's one of my faves. I have had your bran muffin recipe for quite some time and have done nothing with it. What a shame. I think I know what I'm making this weekend! Thanks for the tips. You know how I'm always on the look out for healthy recipes that actually taste good! Oh, and also the Italian style Chili from the Kraftfoods.com website is really good.
Oh, and also the chicken pot pie recipe where you use the pre-made refrigerated pie crust on kraftfoods.com is one of my favorites! Dee-lish. The sauce sounds wierd, it's cream cheese and italian dressing mix but it's actually delicious.
i am so glad that you posted recipe's. Hooray! I am totally going to try your muffin recipe, it sounds a little like one that I make called "breakfast in a muffin", I love muffins, and I am excited to try them. I have spent the last day and a half making pumpkin bread from Dee Dee's recipe and pumpkin cookies from jamie's recipe. yummmm, pumkpin, however, it is time for something healthy! Thanks for the recipes. you are the best!
Post a Comment