My History

Monday, May 19, 2008

Do Angels in Heaven read blogs?

I don't know if they do or not, but I have been thinking so much about my mom (as always) and I was sort of hoping that they can. Maybe if they can't actually log on and see, then maybe she can watch me writing this, and feel the love that I have for her.

A weird thing has happened lately with Jack. Doing certain things with him has caused me to have memories of myself at his age, and my mom parenting me. It's caused me to have two main thoughts: A- Holy Cow the things I do with Jack now he might actually remember someday, and B- I wish I could call my mom and thank her for all those things.

Let me explain B a little better. As I have had these memories come back to me I know that at three years old I didn't have the ability to appreciate fully the excellent mother that she was, to be able to thank her properly for those things. Not that she was doing those things for praise or for recognition at all, in fact I know she did them because she loved me, and wanted so much to be a good mommy for me. Now that I am an adult and I remember these things I wish SO MUCH I could go see her and tell her how amazed and grateful I am for what an amazing job she did for me and Calvin.

It's because of her example that I am sometimes able to step back from a frustrating situation with Jack and handle it with more patience. She's the reason that I try to sit down with him and work with him on his ABC's, sing songs, and read books with him. She's the reason that I try to cook healthy meals and teach Jack how to take care of his body. She's the reason I know how to love my children passionately and try to put their wants and needs above my own. She taught me these things by example.

I have had memories come back of her teaching me, potty training me, showing me compassion, trying to create situations where I could have fun, taking an interest in my health and my education, making sure that I was experiencing new and fun things... and all of these memories I am pretty sure have been from before I turned 5years old. What a great example, and I just love her so much for providing those opportunites and experiences for me.

I love Jack and Alaster SO much, and I hope that when they are parents I will have provided them with an example like my mom did for me. I hope they will be able to remember a fun, loving, patient mother who would have, and did do anything for them.

Thank heaven for mothers. I know that I was blessed with one of the best of them. If you can read this mom... I love you :)

5 comments:

Cal and Whit said...

That was such a nice post! Mom was the best huh? And your not so bad yourself!

Cal and Whit said...

Im not stupid I really do know that I should have written "you're" not "your."

aunt deedee said...

the blog ever sweetie
I think she can read it and
loved it immensely.
love aunt deedee

Unknown said...

Ash,
Your mom knows your heart and you can count on the fact that she is always with you. When you get blue and missing her I wonder if going to the temple and talking with her there would bring you some comfort. I know she loves you to the moon and back Ash. I know she is close. She will never leave you or Cal. You are her heart. I think of her often too. She was a great example to so many.
All my hugs and love,

Aunt Jodi

coryshay said...

She knows, I'm sure of it! You're a great mom...your kids are very lucky