Sometimes I have really good intentions of what I am trying to teach my kids, but it doesn't work out the way I had pictured it in my head. I need to work on my explanation skills.
For Example: Last night Jack is ready to go to bed so we kneel down to pray. He has been trying to say his nightly prayers all by himself, but he has gotten into this rut where he says the SAME prayer every night. It goes like this:
"Dear Heavenly Father, thank thee for this help. Thank you for this spirit. Help me a be nice to Alaster and be a good boy, in the Name of Jesus Christ, Amen."
Now that is a lovely prayer but we are trying to teach him to speak from the heart and not say the same thing every time right? So I try to explain it to him and tell him that instead of just thanking Him for His help and for the Spirit that he can say lots of different thank you's for all the things he loves and that he can ask for help with anything, not just being nice to Alaster. Then I end with telling him something like "so don't forget to say lots of different thank you's okay?"
He says "okay mom." then off we go... here is the prayer he said last night:
"Dear Heavenly Father, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for his help, thank you for this spirit, help me a be nice to Alaster and to be a good boy, in the name of Jesus Christ Amen."
Once I got control of myself enough to be able to talk without laughing I tried again, and we prayed one more time. He'll get it eventually I hope. With such quality explanations from his mother though who knows...
Friday, July 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
That is too funny Ashlee!! Good old Jack, got to love him! He will get it, I can't wait until I get to teach my children principles like prayer. I hope my kid is at least half as fun as yours!!
Ha ha! He says such darling little prayers. I loved when he said to "please bless the scary things" I was lucky enough to witness that one my self! What a darling little boy!
I LOVE IT! Ella's goes: "Dear Heavenly Father, 'aink you for this day, 'welcome that I could play with Mikana, bless me be a good girl, name of Jesus Christ, amen." EVERY NIGHT. :D
too cute! You really are such a good mom!
I love it. You are such a good mom! You can tell that Jack pays very close attention to what you say. That is great.
Post a Comment