My History

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Jack's turn

Okay this was really rough to narrow down what to write. If I don't blog for a while I have too much of a back log of stories. So Corey and I decided we would choose our top 5 favorite things they are currently doing, or stories to write. We'll do JACK first.



1: Current Jack-isms or favorite recent quotes:
"When I die, I'm a get a dead body. Aimee taught me that."
"When I keep the commandments, I get some blessings."
"You have POO in your BUM!"
"That girl at church called me daddy. She's silly."
Jack's new favorite excuse: "I don't have time.... to take a nap... to help clean up the toys... to go to the potty."
Or this one: "I just barely did that."
"Welcome to DO DEE!" that makes Alaster and his friend Elijah laugh
"For my whole life." (this one he tacks on to things that don't make any sense at all "I'm a eat this Popsicle... for my whole life."
"What time is it?" He has started to ask questions that he hears Corey and I ask each other. Then he'll give what he thinks is an acceptable answer like "I think it is 37."
"A BOOOO HOOOOO!!!" I kid you not he literally has started to say that when he is
fake crying.

2: Jacks new favorite movie is PETER PAN! He loves it. He thinks Smee is hilarious and that Peter is so cool. Also he tells me that "those mermaids are cute!" It has made for a lot more sword fights and pretend games. He just really loves to sword fight. He even taught Alaster how. Alaster holds on to a big huge sword that is nearly double his height and he waves it around and chases Jack with it. It's pretty cute.





3: Speaking of playing with Alaster, just this last little while they have really started to interact with each other more. At night they have started playing this game where Jack chases Aly with a big stuffed alligator and just barely taps him with it and it sends Alaster into peals of laughter. I don't know why he thinks it's so funny, but he does. Also they love to throw pillows at each other. Other times Jack will say something that for some reason makes Alaster laugh. It's usually only funny for one day, but they have fun. Last week we were in the car and Alaster was really not happy about it until Jack leaned over to him and said "AAAAA NOSE!" and he thought it was so funny it kept him happy all the way home. The next day he wouldn't even crack a smile at it. You win some you lose some... This picture is of Jack tickling him:



4: He LOVES to draw these days. He spends a good half hour to an hour each night in quiet time drawing with crayons and markers at the table. He has become quite proficient at drawing spiders and he has also been working a lot on letters. He does really good capital A's, B's, C's, P's, E's, J's, and L's. He likes A the best because "It has an across!" He even leaves it out sometimes because it's so funny and he'll ask me "Where's the across?" and then laugh and laugh and then put it in. Here are some of his spiders:



We got him a little preschool workbook that we have spent a bit of time on each night with him. Another one of those things that brings back memories of my mom. I remember her doing the same things with me. It has activities where you draw lines between the matching objects, one of these things is not like the others, trace the letters etc. He loves his activities :)

5: It has been so fun for Corey and I reading him Book of Mormon stories out of the little picture Book of Mormon stories that you get at the distribution center. Sometimes his questions and comments are so sweet and so right on the money with what you want to get across. My favorite example of that is when we talked about repentance. It was with the story of Alma the Younger and he just really GOT it. Then there are other times that all he cares about is the swords, and he says "When I'm a missionary, I'm a have a sword like AMMON!" I just tell him "yep, the sword of the spirit, you sure will!" It makes him excited to be a missionary so I don't correct him too much. Sometimes he looks through it on his own, and finds funny things that we wouldn't have ever noticed, like "the toothbrush lamanite!" It's a picture of Captain Moroni and he is carrying something that looks JUST like a massive toothbrush. It gave us all a little chuckle.

3 comments:

coryshay said...

well no one can say that kid doesn't have personality!! What cute stories!! Can't wait to see you and the boys tomorrow!

Stephanie said...

What a smart boy! I am so glad to learn what awesome things you do with your kids. I love that you use the workbooks. My mom did that with us too.

Cal and Whit said...

I absolutely LOVED this post about Jack. Those spiders at the end are so darling! Loved it, loved it all!