My History

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Aunties


These are my Aunties. Aren't they cute? Natalie (left), DeeDee (center), and Shirley (right). I LOVE my Aunties. This picture was taken when they so graciously invited me to accompany them to Women's Conference 2 weekends ago. I got to be a SISTER for the evening. In fact I think I accidently got called that a few times, and we coincidently sat down in birth order for the meeting. It was so fun to be an insider and kind of represent my mom for the evening. Although no one could take her place. We got ALL KINDS OF SILLY but reigned it in for the meeting. (Well after the prayer anyway. Corey broke me of laughing during prayers at the beginning of our marriage, but sitting next to Nat made it hard not to revert to my old ways)
Anywho it was a good time had by all. Not to mention the fantastic talks given that night.
Since I have this great picture of them I thought I would take a second to share with you all just a little glimpse into why I ADORE my AUNTIES.
Nat and company let me live with them while I went to college. They fed me, finished a room in their basement for me, listened to my college drama stories... ah the Dan Black days... stayed up late nights watching movies with me and having the BEST conversations, and pretty much opened their hearts to me in ALL ways inviting me to be a member of the family. That is GENEROUS no?!? Also Auntie has been my ADVISOR FOR ALL THINGS BABY. She has listened to me cry about my kids, worry about whether I should take them to the doctor or not, given advice on puking, potty training, disciplining, schooling ETC. Why would I go to Nat for these things? She's an excellent example of a FAITHFUL AND BEAUTIFUL MOTHER. I trust, value and respect her opinion.
Dee Dee has a way of showing up when I need her. After I had Alaster and Corey was away a lot for school I remember one time specifically where I prayed that morning and told Heavenly Father that I just COULDN'T do it myself today PLEASE send help, and who should arrive at my doorstep but my Aunt Dee Dee with lunch in hand and a smile? She has done this several times and besides helping me with things I just love to visit with her. She has been an ANSWER TO SEVERAL PRAYERS. Coming at just the right time to LIGHTEN MY LOAD.
My Aunt Shirley is an example to everyone who meets her. She exemplifies love and faith. I like talking to her because she always has a POSITIVE SPIN on any given situation. She sees people through really kind, forgiving, give-them-the-benefit of the doubt kind of glasses. It's really REFRESHING. Aunt Shirley is great at OPENING HER HEART AND HOME to everyone. I am always impressed when we go to Sunday dinner at her house to see who has been invited and how she treats them.
ALL of them have been examples to me of SERVICE. I have talked to each of them about church callings that they have held and they all are so willing despite their hectic schedules to take time out to serve The Lord. They serve in their families too. I think of Aunt Dee Dee caring for her mother in law Dolores, Shirley always offering help to us from giving us their kitchen table to coming and helping us move, and Aunt Nat supporting her husband in his callings, and loving me like a daughter when she is already tirelessly working for her own six children.
All of them MAKE ME WANT TO BE BETTER by their examples. All of them VALUE FAMILY AND THEIR HERITAGE. All of them do little things that REMIND ME OF MY MOM and make me heart smile to see just a little piece of her again.
They are all three my BELOVED AUNTIES. I could go on and on, but perhaps I will save a few things for another post. I love you Aunties. Kisses and Hugs from me.

1 comment:

Cal and Whit said...

Such a great post, and such great women! I love what you said about each of them. They really are one of a kind!