My History

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Great American Sandwich

Today I opened another fresh jar of Peanut Butter.
This is something we do pretty frequently around here.

Because we make a LOT of these:


I estimate that for our 3 month food supply (which I am currently trying to build) just for our little family I will need to stock us up with 8 jars of PB and 6 Jars of Jelly. That seems like a lot to me.

PB&J's are Jack's most requested lunch. (He just started to say PEANUT butter. It used to be just a "butter-jelly")

PB&J's are an easy snack.

PB&J's are cheap.

PB&J's are what I made last week for dinner when my cabbage roll recipe (which sounded really good but tasted REALLY bad) was a total flop. My family was just fine with PB&J's for dinner.

PB&J's are so portable and can help me avoid a fast food joint if we are going to be out for a while. Corey prefers this kind of sandwich to pack when he doesn't get to come home between school and work... meat goes bad, but PB&J's stay good.

Sometimes I get sick of making them. PB&J's aren't terribly un-healthy I don't think, but sometimes I worry we eat too much and that we are missing out on other nutrition that we need. With how hard I try to feed my family healthy food, and how much I like to cook I'm somewhat embarassed by our never ending consumption of these things.

Ah well. Who am I kidding? Do I think we could give up on our PB&J's completely? Not at this juncture. Reduce our intake? Maybe. But get rid of them forever? No can do.

Because PB&J's are part of the Burton way of life.

1 comment:

Cal and Whit said...

Hooray for PB & J. I love you how you said that it is just a Burton way of life. Did I ever tell you that my little bro can eat like 3 of these in one sitting? It is a Levi way of life too! Ha ha!