My History

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Proud

I was kind of getting sick of the election but I have to tell you... election night and kind of ever since I have been so caught up in the SPIRIT of AMERICA.

Did you watch election night?

Did you see this man and his classy, gracious, inspiring concession speech?

I have never liked him or respected him more than when I saw him talk that night. It was REAL John McCain, and for some unknown reason my heart just went out to him and loved him and was endeared to him at that moment. I realized I was looking at a man who has sacrificed EVERYTHING for his country.
I felt so bad for him too. What a LONG hard race. I remember when my high school boyfriend ran for SBPresident and lost and how devestating that moment was... but he only "campaigned," for two weeks!

Already inspired and teary I watched this man enter the stage:



What a fantastic day in American History for all of us. It didn't really matter if I agreed with him politically or not. What an amazing step for our country. I felt honored to watch it all take place. Corey and I have talked so much about the implications of this, and our hopes and desires for what this step could do for people in America and really all over the world.

How BADLY we want him to succeed!!!

I was so touched by the commentary after the results. So VERY touched to hear people who had fought right along side Dr. King say what this moment meant for them, and the different feelings and hopes and fears this brought. It's something I don't think I will soon forget.

I am so VERY proud to be an AMERICAN today.

3 comments:

Cal and Whit said...

I agree!

3+Love~aki=Us said...

What a great moment in history! We too felt that same compassion towards McCain but we too were glad to see part of Mr. King's dream come true. It'll be an interesting next 4 years; We're excited to see what happens!

Jen said...

As a member of the loyal opposition (I just love that great British phrase), I also hope Obama succeeds. What is truly fantastic about the U.S. Government is that there can be such a smooth transition of power between parties in office. We have John Adams and Thomas Jefferson to thank for that precedent.

What a great night in American History. I disagree with President-Elect Obama on a number of issues, but political ideology aside, what a great step for America.