My History

Monday, January 26, 2009

Beanies

I have had a request from a few friends to start posting some healthy recipes/info on my blog. Since Health and Nutrition is one of my all time favorite subjects I am happy to oblige.
Today's Topic: BEANS

Ah yes, beans, beans the magical fruit... who doesn't love these tiny wonders?

Proven to help regulate blood sugar, improve cholesterol levels, and play a big role in the prevention of heart disease and cancer they are a healthy, inexpensive way to improve your diet. Did you know that the number one food on the United States Agricultural's list of high-antioxidant sources of common foods is a BEAN? They are a good source of folic acid, potassium and magnesium and very low fat. Their low glycemic index also keeps hunger at bay after eating, and the fiber and high protein it contains gives you a sense of fullness. For more info on beans visit HERE.

Bottom Line: Beans are SO good for you!

Here are some awesome links for delectable bean recipes which we have had lately. Click on the recipe name and it will take you there:

Bush's Red White and Bean Minestrone (you can thank my mother-in-law for this one!)



***Little tip*** I think one good way of finding recipes with a certain ingredient in mind is to go to the website of someone who makes that product. You can always find good recipes that way.

Black Bean Soup (Thank you Shayla!)

These I have not actually tried yet, but they looked really good and are on my list:

Chipotle Black Beans and Red Quinoa (white quinoa is cheaper and just as healthy)


Make-Your-Day-Better Lentil Soup (I have been looking and looking for good Lentil Recipes. I hope this one is a keeper!)

If any of you have a good bean recipe to share e-mail me!

5 comments:

3+Love~aki=Us said...

I heard that beans were awesome! I guess we should start having more! BTW, our blog addy changed to http://www.enduringitwell.blogspot.com/ just thought I'd let you know. :)

coryshay said...

yay!! I have been meaning to ask you for some healthy recipes... and I was just thinking of that black bean soup the other day... tasty isn't it? I think this should be a regular thing on your blog :)

deemom said...

There is a wonderful 15 bean soup package sold at the grocery store. It comes with a good recipe and a seasoning packet inside. I have used this before LOVED IT. Also added a bit of onion to it and of course I LOVE ONIONS, so I loved it. It is called
Hurst's 15 Bean Soup (hurst's hambeen brand). It calls for adding some ingredients. I have had it either way with the added stuff or not. The tomatoes help the flavor and the lemon juice really adds. You can make it without ham hocks (I HAVE NEVER USED HAMHOCKS). They just sound bad. Love aunt deedee

Cal and Whit said...

Hooray for the Magical fruit! We definitely love beans here too! I loved this by the way!

3+Love~aki=Us said...

Since you don't have a facebook account I thought I would fill you in on what Jen has wrote:

...for our Seminary Council 2002 reunion! I hope to be able to set another date soon ;) , but this will have to do for now. Sorry that the last one never really happened. Life got busy with the holidays. (P.S. Maria- I'm writing this to you since you are attached to Maclane-- and never forget Jenilyn and my roles in that).

I think it will be best to have it on a Saturday afternoon for those of you who have babies, so that you can bring them and it won't interfere with bedtime. If you would prefer to get a babysitter and have an evening event, I am open to that too. As I am still a swingin' single (kind of), I am versatile. As of now, the event will most likely be held at my parents' house in Orem, but it could change. Those details will come later.

Now that you have endured that useless information, here is the important part. I'm going to suggest two days. Please respond to me and let me know which of these you can make it to (also let me know if you could make it on either day). I will pick the one that the most people can come to. Here they are:

Saturday, February 28 or
Saturday, March 7

Please get back to me ASAP so that I can put it on the calendar. I would really love to see all of you so very much.

Love,

Jen