My History

Monday, February 9, 2009

Generosity

Don't you love people?
I love meeting new people and seeing gifts that they have which I do not.
I think one of Heavenly Father's favorite ways to teach me is by introducing me to people are living, breathing, examples of certain qualities He wants me to attain. (What a nice way to teach don't you think? I personally love this method.)

Let me tell you about one such person and one such quality:

Adelaide Espinoza

Called recently to serve in the nursery with Corey and I, I would guess her to be in her early 60's. She is from Baja California and is of Mexican decent. She is not terribly comfortable with her English, but she still attends our ward and not the Spanish ward in the area.

One night Sister E sent her granddaughter over to our home with some Mexican Soup that she had made. I told her the following Sunday how much we had enjoyed it and we started talking about Mexican food, cooking, etc. She told me that she LOVED to cook, and that it was all authentic Mexican, and that she would be happy to teach me how to cook ANYTHING I wanted to learn. I asked Corey what he would want me to learn and he, without even having to think about it, shouted "Tortillas!" Yummm! That sounded good to me too... so she said she would be happy to teach me, but that I would have to try some of hers first and make sure I approved.

That evening she showed up at our house with at least 30 freshly baked, still warm, homemade tortillas. They were... TO DIE FOR. Unbelievably good. My stomach is still hurting because we ate them SO FAST!

Then this Sunday (yesterday) I reported back to her that we LOVED them and I would HAVE to learn. She proceeds to tell me that she had tried to bring over a batch of Taquitos during the week too but that we hadn't been home. To make up for it she surprised us that night with 6 Sopes (no idea how you spell it... gordita type bread topped with beans, meat, cheese, lettuce, white sauce, cheese, tomatoes...)

I wanted to cry. I couldn't believe the generosity. I know that Sister E is not a rich person. She is divorced and lives in my apartment complex with one of her daughters and a granddaughter. I think she works more than one job... she told me the only time she could teach me was on Sunday because during the whole week she works and recently got a calling in the Jordan River Temple. I told her not to worry about it, that I didn't want to take her only evening to relax away from her, but she wouldn't hear of it.

It's hard for a selfish person like myself to not be touched when someone is so giving of their limited time and limited income. Don't you think that some people are just born with the gift of a generous spirit? After just a few encounters with Sister E, I know her to be one such person.

How fitting it is that Heavenly Father would want me to meet her in this "starving student," phase of my life. I can think of at least 5 different reasons that would be important.

Anyway I am glad that Heavenly Father teaches us in this way.
Chances are if you are reading this entry I could write a similar post about a quality that I learned from you which I am currently trying to emulate. So let me just say a big fat thank you to you all.
You make me better, and I love you for it!

2 comments:

Amberlin Gefrom said...

Awww man..people like that make me feel like crap (in a good way) like I really need to be more like that. Thanks for sharing Ash

Pokemon said...

She seems like such a neat lady. There really are so many great examples out there. Sometimes I get stuck in the rut of thinking "what's wrong with people?" generally if I am watching the news or something where so many negatives are plastered.

Thanks for the reminder to look for the good and to try to snag a piece of it for myself.