Dear Cindy,
Would you like to know what your smarty-pants little Grandson did today? I will tell you what he did today. He spelled SUPERMAN! That's what he did today!
Okay, okay so he didn't spell it 100% correctly.
He spelled it "Sooprman," but we haven't talked in his reading lessons about U making the "oo," sound yet and so he only knew that "oo," made that sound and that's what he used. Also he left out the "e," but "r," makes the "er," sound independently without an e... so there you have it.
I saw his logic. It makes perfect sense.
I was babysitting this morning and he had been doing pages from the little pre-school workbook you sent and he came in and said "Mom, I want to show you something," and he proceeded to write it out. He wrote "soop," first and as you can see in the picture below he ran out of room and put the R in the top right hand corner and the M, A, N he did randomly as well, but still, you can see it all.
Then he started practicing N's on the page because I told him his were backwards. After that he spelled out "Gun."
I didn't teach him how to spell.
One day he just said to me "M...O...M... mom." And I said "Jack! You spelled mom! Good Job!" So now he tries to spell things on his own and when we are in the car I ask him to spell small words... bat, cat, dad and the like.
What a smarty-pants little Grandson you have.
And this picture:
is dedicated to Ed.
Much Love- Ashlee
PS: Your other little Grandson is getting 2 more teeth on the bottom and we have decided to pull the binki plug out during the day. He's not a happy camper but it's made him really clingy and cuddly with me "mama!!!!!" and I like that so it's all good.
PPS: Is it wrong that I didn't correct him on how to spell Superman properly? I usually do but this time I just thought it was a rather large undertaking for a barely four year old and so I just told him I thought he was so smart and let it slide. I'm sure he'll figure it out eventually. I didn't want to spoil the moment. He was so proud.
5 comments:
Your boys are so cute!
What a little smartie! He is so darling in that pic for Ed. We love that Jack to pieces. So smart!
Well this is so JACK. You give him small steps and he says OH MAMA I CAN LEAP A BUILDING IN A SINGLE BOUND!!!. What a wonderful challenge you have in that boy. LOVE EVERY MINUTE even the frustration ones because one day he will tell you. " Mom you did a good job and I know I was not an easy kid." THEN it will seem as though it was a dream to raise a special child. love aunt deedee
WOW! Smart kiddo!
I have to say, I am so impressed by your little guy, and your efforts to teach him!! That is amazing for a four year old! We miss you. :)
Post a Comment