Two weeks from today I will officially be done managing apartments.
I told Jack about this today after I had not been able to play for a while due to work obligations.
His face got a big huge smile and he thought about it for a while. I don't think he could really even picture what it will be like so I gave him examples of what that will mean to him.
Now managing has been such a blessing to us and while it was sometimes overwhelming and frustrating for the most part it has been wonderful, and I have really tried hard to keep a good attitude about it. However, now that I know I am not going to be doing this anymore can I just tell you some things I'm not going to miss at all? I could just make a list but stories are funner. Don't you agree?
#1- I am in the shower and hear the door bell ring. Shoot! Oh well. I decide they can come back or call me later. If it's an emergency they have the emergency phone #. I decide to just finish my shower. 3 seconds later it rings again. Okay... being a little persistent but they will get the hint when I don't come to the door. 5 seconds later... another ring. Seriously? Three rings? Maybe something is really wrong, I start hurrying to finish... 4 seconds later another ring. Okay now I know it is NOT an emergency because if it were they would have given up on me and gotten some real help from another, more available source. 3 more seconds and... you guessed it... another ring. Flip people my baby is still sleeping and if you wake him up for something stupid... SO HELP ME! Another ring... we got to a total of nine rings (you bet I was counting) before I had rushed through my shower so that the baby wouldn't wake and I ran to the door dripping wet with my robe on (ewww! I hate that feeling!), I creaked it open just enough so they can see that my hair was wet, and found to my utter surprise a resident of a complex I don't even manage anymore... heck it's not even my management company who runs it anymore... and she came to ask for help with her current manager who apparently isn't listening to her about something. Wow.
#2- I had a busy morning cleaning up our home because the night previously I had spent doing a bunch of computer work for the apartments so I hadn't had a good chance to clean up. The boys kept wanting me but I was in hyper drive doing dishes, laundry, and other necessaries so I had to kept putting them off saying "We'll play hungry hippos in just a minute when I'm done guys! Promise!" I repeat this over and over until I am finally done. We all sit down around the game hands on hippos ready and rarin' to go and literally just as I am about to shout "GO!" The door bell rings and I have to put them off again so I can answer the dang door because it's office hours and I have to.
#3 It's Tuesday Night and I am watching the American Idol finale. Adam is singing my favorite song of his from the season. I see a resident come to the door and hear the doorbell ring. I check the clock. American Idol is definitely after hours. I know this resident and I give him the benefit of the doubt as I get up to answer. "It's probably an emergency," I think "So I'm not going to get upset." I answer the door with a smile. He says to me "A lightbulb is out in my daughters bedroom." Okay, A: SO not the apartment complexes job. Lightbulbs are a residents responsibility and B: It's after 7:00pm and I have a big nasty sign on my door that says not to knock after 5:00 unless it's an emergency. Is it possible to die from a lightbulb being out? I don't think so. I, in much politer terms than what my head had been thinking, inform him of these two things and instead of apologizing he starts asking me questions about his lease.
Can you blame me for being excited to be done? I will probably have to find some kind of job, but I am totally okay with that. I am just happy that the apartment management gig is coming to a close. It was such a blessing to have it, but I can't help feeling it is also such a blessing to be done.
1 comment:
I'm so happy for you guys! Fun adventures ahead. I'm glad that you won't have those nuisance interruptions anymore...things seem to happen at the least convenient times when you're working from home. I would have gone postal with the multiple doorbell rings while the baby was sleeping. I LOVE nap times because I can finally shower and if that happened to me the person at the door would have paid dearly. :)
Post a Comment