My History

Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Baccalaureate

Friday May 8th, Day Two:


As previously mentioned Corey Graduated on May 8th, 2009 from the College of Humanities with a Bachelor's Degree in English and a Minor in History from the University of Utah.

It was such a proud moment for the whole family. During the ceremony they had groups of people who had supported the graduates stand up to receive a round of applause for the role that they played. Ed and I might have teared up a bit when it was our turn to stand... and I know Ed cried when Corey presented him and Cindy with that red sash thingy (what do you call that?!?) which he was instructed to give to someone special after the ceremony.

Side Note: I love the pictures of Corey in the collage above. It was hard to get him to take a plain-jane just nice smiling shot when he was standing alone. On the bottom left we have silly, center bottom was the distinguished look, and far right was when he was twirling his tassel very cutesy-patootsy-ish.


The actual ceremony itself was lovely. I expected to be really bored but it was actually really cool. Thankfully the boys behaved themselves rather nicely and we were able to listen and enjoy.

Michael K Young, President of the University of Utah (isn't it funny that the pres of the U has the last name of Young?) presided over the whole affair. He welcomed, presented awards, etc. As he presented the awards and talked about the university and its prestigious faculty I said a silent prayer of thanks that Corey was able to attend such an excellent institution. Education is such a blessing and I am confident that Corey was able to get his from an uncommonly good source which will serve him well as he attends Eastern Illinois. I am so proud that his name is now connected with the U.

The commencement address was delivered by David McCullough. Having recently read John Adams I was so excited to hear from him. His address was stirring and full of sound advice for the graduates. If you have any interest at all you can watch the address HERE. I personally think it would be worth your time

8 comments:

Cal and Whit said...

I love your fun Graduation pictures!! Congrats Corey on being a 'baccalaureate'. It looks like you guys had such a blast celebrating. Those pics of the boys with the stickers on are adorable! What fun updates!

Autumn said...

Congrats to Corey for graduating. I'm sure it feels amazing and now its time to spring forward towards more education. I will miss you guys.

Stephanie said...

Happy day! You both have worked so hard for this. Good luck at grad school!

deemom said...

I am SO JEALOUS!! One of my favorite authors and you got to hear him IN PERSON!!! LUCKY GUYS.
WE are so sad to see you leave for graduate school BUT we are so excited for this new time in your lives!!! love aunt deedee and uncle david

Rebecca said...

Congrats to Corey!

coryshay said...

Yay for Corey! Yay for Corey! Yay for Corey! And you look beautiful as always!

Unknown said...

Congrats on having a Graduate of your very own. I am sad about you moving. :0( But, then again I haven't seen you much. I would love to see you before you go. When do you leave? You are a beautiful wife and mommy Ash. Loves, Jodi

Utah Dancer said...

Oh I am so happy for you! You guys did it! I love all the descriptions of what the day was like for you, the photos are great, and you all look so happy!! Congratulations!!