We made it!
Packing done, trailer loaded, sick baby pushed to the absolute brink until we said "Enough is enough!" car loaded and off we went!
26 hours later and we were saying hello to our new temporary home.
I have been to Illinois before on vacation, but it was a new experience altogether driving in knowing that we will be living here. Our kids could claim this place as home someday when asked later in life, "Where do you hail from?"
We got here on Thursday evening and the next morning Corey drove us around showing me some meaningful places to him in the city. We stopped at a Park to let the kids play and we talked about how we were feeling. It was weird. Reeeaally weird. Like, I have sat here for 15 minutes trying to type up a description of just exactly how we felt and the only way I can think of to say it is: WEIRD.
The good news is that the weird feeling didn't last long. Ed and Cindy have seen to that. We feel perfectly at home and comfortable with them. They have gone the extra mile to make us feel that way. I had called us "guests," to Cindy a few times and she kept reminding me "You're not guests... you're family." How do people move to strange places without good family to welcome them and show them the ropes? I surely don't know. Ed gave me the directions to the Walgreens on Saturday night and I found it all by myself and didn't even make one wrong turn AND I got home without a wrong turn too! Do you think that would have happened without his help? If you think the answer is "yes," you don't know me at all. We have loved all the time we have spent with Ed and Cindy so far. Their home is a wonderful place to be.
The good news is that the weird feeling didn't last long. Ed and Cindy have seen to that. We feel perfectly at home and comfortable with them. They have gone the extra mile to make us feel that way. I had called us "guests," to Cindy a few times and she kept reminding me "You're not guests... you're family." How do people move to strange places without good family to welcome them and show them the ropes? I surely don't know. Ed gave me the directions to the Walgreens on Saturday night and I found it all by myself and didn't even make one wrong turn AND I got home without a wrong turn too! Do you think that would have happened without his help? If you think the answer is "yes," you don't know me at all. We have loved all the time we have spent with Ed and Cindy so far. Their home is a wonderful place to be.
Then on Sunday we went to church. OH CHURCH!!!! I was much more emotional about it than I had anticipated. When we came into the building. I said to Corey "It feels so good to be here!" and he said "Yeah. It really does." I couldn't sing the opening song. I was too overcome with gratitude for being a member. Have you pondered the blessings of Church Membership lately? Wow. It's awesome. Even without jobs or a permanent place to live I feel grounded again.
Family and church membership.
With them I have a place and now I don't feel so... floaty.
I'm fine. Better than fine actually. I'm quite enjoying myself. Aly feels the same way. He has never eaten so much in all his little life. He goes from dawn till dusk with only two settings: REALLY VIOLENTLY AWAKE and TOTALLY DEAD ASLEEP. Very "busy," as Gram calls him. Jack has had a little harder time adjusting and has had a few "I want to go home to Utah," moments but I think for the most part he has liked it. We have finally had some good time together as a family and also some good one on one time. He has said to me a couple of times "You're not the manager anymore!" and he loves his Gram and Grandpa. Corey is glad to be home but anxious for a job. Pray that Corey will get a job okay? Thanks.
Anyway we're here.
Safe and sound.
Alaster is not even sick anymore.
Turns out a 26 hour confinement to the car was exactly what he needed!
Who knew?
We love you all. Very much.
As soon as I can post pictures I will.
I am anxious to show you some of our new life here!
Hope you are well and happy.
Much Love- Ashlee
Much Love- Ashlee
12 comments:
I just left a huge long comment and it erased :( I'm happy to know you are safe and sound and that Aly is feeling better. We miss you guys already and have so many reminders of your sweet family all around our house. By the way I had unexpected family drop in a few nights back and I was able to whip up your Vegan Enchilada recipe for the first time. The whole group was fed and all the adults liked it...most of the kids tolerated it but I felt like it was a success and will be repeated at our dinner table. Thanks for everything. You taught me a lot and I enjoyed our friendship. This is not a goodbye even though it sounds like it. Give the boys a hug from us. Love ya!
I don't know why my posts aren't posting. I'll try later.
I'm so glad you made it, although a little sad! Yay for a new chapter in your life! What an adventure! Miss you lots! xo
We already miss you too! I am so glad the trip went well for you (we were praying) and we will keep praying for Corey and the job. We love you all!!
My post didn't post either so here is a bit of it again.
CALL ME DAY OR NIGHT YOU KNOW YOU CAN!!!
Love aunt deedee
I KEEP the phone by the bed and I AM A VERY LIGHT SLEEPER.
Congrats on your arrival. I look forward to seeing your posts on life on the EAST SIDE!
What a fantastic adventure! I was so happy to see your comment this morning...I'm glad you haven't forgotten about us! :) I really enjoy reading your blog...you are a gifted writer and your posts are so real. We are praying for you guys! Everything will work out...how could it not if the Lord is in charge!
Ashlee
I am so glad that you are all well. I miss you and hope that it wont be to long before I see you again. It's good to hear that Ally is better. Good luck! Love, Emily
Ashlee
We miss and love you so much. I am glad to hear that you are all doing well. Poor Ally! I am happy to know that he is feeling much better now but the timing of getting sick was not good. I am sure Jack will love his new place and it will be home for him soon. Can't wait to see you again. Emily
This post made me teary. I am happy you felt such peace at church Ash. I will be praying for you. I love you so much. I can't believe I never got up to see you before you moved. Thank goodness for blogs. Good luck and God bless.
I am so glad that you have family out there to help with the transition. You are so brave! That is good that Aly is better. I didn't know that he was sick. I can't imagine how hard that would be during the time of moving out of state. Good luck out there!
I am so glad you are there safe, and that you are already feeling at home. As Shayla can attest, I had a really tough time moving to Washington. It's your friends in the church who will make it okay--but I see you already know that. You are going to do great! I will of course keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers, esp. where employment is concerned!
Post a Comment