My History

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

We've Been Waiting for This!

I have been waiting to go to this store for... what?... 5 YEARS!?!
Beachy's is a store out in the middle of Amish Land. Cindy always told me "When you drive there you get away from the whole world and feel like you are going back in time." She was totally right. I mean ... look at this:

I didn't take any pictures of the Amish people themselves... they don't appreciate it when "The English," do that. But I did enjoy looking at them... what? I didn't stare... I just find it so nice. They live in another world and some of the concepts behind how they live are so lovely. They avoid worldliness in all forms... the girls fasten their shirts with safety pins because buttons can get too fancy. Driving past their homes was also really cool. Imagine cute little houses surrounded by a garden with a clothes line full of clothing drying in the wind. Horses outside and men standing talking to each other with really long beards. It was just lovely.


I was a little bummed that the store carried some "English," products, but I guess the Amish need some products from the outside world. I just closed my eyes to those and walked around looking at all of the "Beachy,"' things. There was a whole isle of spices, baking products and things like apple and pumpkin butter. Ed's favorite isle is all their candy. Tons and Tons of delicious candy. The prices also happen to be totally out of this world, and there was hardly anyone there. A little gem that Cindy has gone to for a long time, but that most people don't want to take the long drive to visit. I personally plan on being a regular here.

If nothing else just look at the views we had out our window on the drive there:




Wouldn't the views alone make the trip worth it? Pictures don't even really do it justice because they cut the view... still... you get the general idea. Anyway I have wanted to go there for ages and now I have.
Tommorrow Cindy and I are returning and we are going to stop at more of the Amish stores. We were limited on time the first trip but tommorrow is all clear. I am especially excited to go to the furniture store! They make everything out of solid wood and they are excellent craftsman. I can't wait!

4 comments:

Autumn said...

Ashley you really have been busy blogging. I am at mother daughter and will be posting about it sometime soon. Thanks for sharing so much of your life. I think I could be perfectly happy in Illinois. I wish we had a beachy's here. The amish sure get a lot of things right. I commend them and will strive for a more simple life.

Emily Dawn said...

How fun! It looks like such a beautiful place to be. You will never find anything like that here in Utah.

Utah Dancer said...

Wow, how picturesque! What a lovely place to go for groceries!

Cal and Whit said...

I love it! I want to go there one day with you! I love the buggy and carriage...wow! I agree, even if the beautiful drive did not lead to somewhere totally cool, it might still be worth it.