We can attribute part of his ugliness to the fact that he is dead... but most of it is just who he is: Mr. Locust aka Mr. Cicada. The first time I met one of these guys I was digging with Cindy in the front yard. I put my shovel in and removed some dirt to find these pink, wriggly, fleshy looking legs just wriggling and wriggling around. I started screaming and wondered why in the world a baby rat was buried in the ground!?! I couldn't see the rest of it's body and I was freaking out too much to find out. Cindy finally informed me it was a locust. We covered him back up so he could finish growing before he came all the way out. Ewwww! Ewww!!!
Not only are they ugly and big, they are LOUD!!! At night time in the summer you can hear them emitting this almost electric sounding squeal. It's awful! Some of the natives here actually find their "song," calming. I don't get it at all. The only thing I like about these guys is that they die and stay just like they are. They will drop out of no where when you least expect it... dead... at your feet... weird.
Also on the list of bugs that I'm not loving... mosquitos, fruit flies, gnats, and hornets. Now, we had all these things in Utah, but man alive there are so many more here! One of the first things I bought here was a can of OFF. Sheesh. Somedays, when it's hot and there isn't a breeze, it's totally unbearable and I make the boys come inside because I can't stand it! Also I think someone is slipping the hornets steroids. They are so very large. Corey saw one at the park last week attack a cicada and drag it up a tree. Disturbing? Very.
Okay, so we have to deal with the unpleasant bugs, but this next bug kind of makes up for them and makes me love the insects here. Okay. Look at this picture and see if you can spot it:
Did you see it? The tiny twinkle of lights in the field? Corey took that photo on the first night we saw them. It was early in the season for them so there wasn't very many. Now if you drive at night you can see tons of them dotting the fields and spreading their magic.
I saved the magical bugs for last: Lightning Bugs or as I call them: Fireflies (I think that's more romantic sounding don't you? Corey tells me to call them lightning bugs but in my heart they are fireflies for sure)
Corey was anxious to show them to me because he has such wonderful memories of them growing up. So one night shortly after we arrived here, we put the boys in bed and went out for a drive down Staley Road. I felt like a teenager again and imagined that I was a girl who just came into town for the summer, and the local boy I had taken a liking to was showing me the sights. We crept down into the field and gazed across.
One by one tiny little lights started to appear for a few fleeting seconds each, coming and going softly, always rising upward. I know I've already said this, but the only word to describe it is magical. I guess because of them, and few other things I described Illinois to Whitney as enchanting. She liked that and sometimes tells me on the phone when we say goodbye something like "Enjoy enchanting Illinois!"
It is enchanting. One night at the park Alaster was surrounded by them and he and Jack spent a while trying to catch them. It was so calming and lovely to watch.
I'm so glad I am here and get to experience these small little pleasures.
I love that I am experiencing them with Corey, and getting to know the land of his childhood.
Stay tuned if you like for more installments of "Introducing Illinois."


10 comments:
Ash, I love your posts. "Your day" was just so YOU. I also find it funny that you would touch the cicada, but not the cute little caterpillar. And I think that firefly must be the Utah word. I've always thought that you had to live somewhere with lightning bugs to be allowed to call them that. Otherwise it sounds silly. Anyway, missing you!
Hey Ash, What strange little creatures in Illinois. I changed my blog address to carverconversations.blogspot.com Many people have been insisting I protect the identity of my family and kids so I will be adopting code names. My mother daughter name is Aumazy. Would love to chat with you soon. Love, Autumn
always loe your posts! And I didn't even know that those furry little caterpillars existed either! Thanks for the introduction to Illinois... looking forward to next installment!
FIREFLIES are the things I miss the most and so do all of my kids THAT don't have them anymore. MAGICAL is the right word for them and they will always be enchanting you. BUGS i don't miss for sure. Hope your week is going super. WE were not at the party BUT I know that someone did say they wished Ash and Corey and the boys were there. AND we all miss your mom lots. Everyday I think about her and miss her more as time goes by, BUT i keep reminding myself that we have already been apart longer than we ever will be and that each day brings us closer to seeing each other again. When Jesus comes, wont that be great. love aunt deedee
How fun, scary and pretty all in one state. PS happy b-day to your mom yesterday!
Ash! I love your posts! You are darling and thanks for taking time to appreciate the small yet amazing wonders in life! Thanks for making me smile!
It is one of my goals in life to see a firefly. Slightly jealous...one day.
You are too kind to like any of the bugs-except the lightening bugs. I am so scared for the cockroaches and other horrible little creatures awaiting me in Alabama.
WHAT?! I could have sworn that I commented on this and just came over to check again and nope...apparently not! I can not belive the bugs, I hate the one with the eyes, and that scary nesty-wingy thing...yuck! The caterpiller, not so bad, but ohhh man! Not a fan of the bugs! I do, howver, LOVE the lightening bugs, or um....fireflies! What magical, enchanting little guys! What a fun post! I also loved the post about your day. So cute! And I am glad that everything worked out! Love you Ash!
also...tell Corey that I LOVE the amazing Burtinis!! What a fun post. Cal and I just sat there and looked at the pics, laughed and then both of us shared how much we are really missing you guys! Love you tonz! And ohh, thos pics of the boys, Jack balancing the chair on his chin and Aly with his arms in the air standing on the table...priceless! Love them!
Post a Comment