My History

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Day of Toads

I have taken more pictures of animals since arriving in IL than I have previously in my entire life combined.
One day while living with Ed and Cindy I was playing in the front yard with the boys. In their yard they have these old railroad ties and Jack dropped a toy under one. He and I rolled it to retrieve the toy and Alaster started yelling "Frah!!! Frah!!!" At first I didn't understand him, and even after looking at what he was pointing at it took me a second to see him:
We probably scared Mr. Toad to death. We stroaked him (yes, even I did... but we were all too exciteable to pick him up), watched him, and did lots of oohing and ahhing.
He held so still but finally got the nerve to hop away... most fun to watch I must say... and he hopped right into a tinsy crack in another railroad tie. I felt bad. It must have been a really tight squeeze, but the boys were still watching him so he stayed in.
Eventually I made the boys leave him alone so that he could relocate if desired... which I'm sure it was... desired that is.
Totally unrelated to frogs was this picture of Alaster I got at that time...
That little curly-cue on top was waving in the wind in the most extroardinary way. At one point it made a perfect question mark on the top of his head. I had to grab a picture.

No comments: