Thanksgiving Eve is upon me.
I'm going to put on Johnny Mathis and think of my mom while I make my family's traditional Pumpkin Cake Squares.
I'm going to cry.
I might be doing a little bit of that already.
Thanksgiving Eve was magical for me and my Mom.
I genuinely, genuinely looked forward to spending that night with her all year round.
I knew we would sing along with Johnny, cut onions until we cried... which would of course make us laugh... then hurry and put some bread in the toaster to try and hide the smell from my dad, and just generally enjoy the holiday splendor and being with each other.
I remember how she would always tell me how much she loved cooking with me and how I was her "best girlfriend." When I was younger I would ask back "Even better than Lynn?!?" and when she would say "Yes." I believed her even though the thought was unbelievable.
So dear mom... if you are reading this... tonight I'm going to sing extra loud during "Sleigh Ride." and I'm going to hear you singing it too.
5 comments:
OH ASH!! how I love you and adore you as a person, woman, mother, niece THE WHOLE DARN PACKAGE!!!! You inspire me and all the women who read your blog. WE LOVE YOU ALL MISS YOU LOTS. Happy Thanksgiving Love aunt deedee
Ash I don't know how you do it. I am far away from home but you are really far away from home. You have a great strong spirit though and I am grateful for that example.
This made me cry again. This is such a neat memory! I loved reading about it. Also, the toast in the oven is so funny! ha! I can just see you two, and I loved the picture that it put in my mind.
I love the bond you have with your mom! She really did a great job making you feel loved. Happy Thanksgiving!
You write so beautifully. That was a lovely post.
Post a Comment