My History

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Pukey and Thanksgiving

Alaster wakes me each morning by tiptoeing out of his bed and making the climb up our gargantuan mattress for an early morning snuggle. He puts his hands under his belly and lays on me face down. When he's ready he whispers "wake mommy... wake." If I'm having a slow starting day he puts his hands on my cheeks and says it again until I am roused. He is maybe the best alarm clock ever.

2 days ago the morning started much the same. In my sleepy state I felt him climb up and snuggle on in. He was getting particularly cozy and I was thinking "What a sweet baby!" when the puking began. I hope it was comforting to him to squeeze me so tight as he puked on my stomach. That would make all the laundry worth it.

Alaster was mostly pukey just in the car for the rest of the day, and then just once more yesterday. Then the baton was handed to Jack...

Corey and I were right in the middle of... well what we were doing is not so much the point... when it started for him last night. The kid puked six times through the night! A record for him. He hates puking poor darling. Not nearly as much as my cousin Alise though so we managed. Then the baton was handed to me...

About noon today I was struck. My boss made me go home at 3:30.

At this point I would like to give my husband a big-gold-star for outstanding husbandry. I came home and he sent me to bed. He played with the boys. He did dishes. He did laundry. He made them the healthy meal that I had planned even though I wouldn't have minded Peanut Butter and Jelly. He went to the store and bought me peppermints and picked out some cookies for Jack's School Christmas party tomorrow. He put the boys in bed. He gave me a blessing. He told me he didn't mind not getting a nap before work. When I complained that this wasn't a very girly-wilty-weak-pretty kind of sickness (Dora in David Copperfield style) and that it's embarassing to burp in front of him he just laughed and told me I was silly. I tell ya...

Corey is a keeper. I seriously hope that there's no more baton-handing happening, but if there is I will take good care of my man... you mark my words.

Anyway... that has nothing to do with Thanksgiving what-so-ever... so on to the main point of this post:

(Ed and Cindy's living room mantle)


I really like the Burton's home, and their formal dining room is my favorite. The table is to die for... a gorgeous woody affair that she inherited from a dear older lady friend. It has a painting that her parents got in New Orleans, a cool old hutch, an old fashioned writing desk, her mothers fine china, her Gram's silver, and that window lets in the softest most beautiful sunshine through the dainty lace that adorns it. I was so excited that we got to eat on the table in my favorite room.

A picture from both sides of the room was important I thought.


When we arrived in the mid-morning the Grandparents were ready. They gave Jack and Alaster Buzz and Woody which kept them entertained for a long time. Hee-Haw was also very helpful with stickers and drawing and rounds of go-fish.

5 comments:

Cal and Whit said...

Wow, I don't even know where to start my comment...first...stinky sickness! ewww, I hate that it was so passed around. Yuck! I sure am glad you are all feeling better and I hope it doesn't get to Corey! Sound like you were all well taken care of though! Nice Job Corey! Your Thanksgiving post was so delightful. Those wraps, all the dessert, the table is absolutely adorable, so is the mantle, also, silverware just for Thanksgiving, I love that idea! So special! It looked lovely!

Cal and Whit said...

oh, also, the bad day part is hilarious! :D Love those boys!

RJamie said...

ok, so I totally have both the clock and the pilgrims on the mantle. so funny. We missed you at Candy day.

Daphne A. Quist said...

Oh Ash,I love your blog! Thank you for always making me think of all the amazing small things in life we need to appreciate! We miss you! I'm so happy to see how happy you all are there!

Amberlin Gefrom said...

What were you and COrey in the middle of? You never finished the sentence? ;-) I am sorry. I hope its now out of all your systems!