My History

Sunday, January 17, 2010

2009 Year End Book Review

Well another year has come and gone and with it some great... and some not so great... books.
You know the drill.
Let's get started.
Oh... I guess there are some small format changes from last year that I should mention... I have included the authors names this go around, I will denote the exceptional reads with *'s and the ones I didn't care for with #'s.
That's all... proceed...

Ashlee Read in 2009:

Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy*
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
Edgar Allen Poe: William Wilson, Murders in the Rue Morgue, Fall of the House of Usher, The Tell Tale Heart, The Pit and the Pendulum, Mask of the Red Death, Cask of the Amontillado
The Tales of Beedle the Bard by JK Rowling
John Adams by David McCullough**
Yearning for the Living God by F Enzio Busche*
The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom#
The Tale of Desperaux by Kate Dicamillo
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens***
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate Dicamillo
The Giver by Lois Lowry
Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery***
Anne of Avonlea by LMM*
Anne of the Island by LMM
The Twelfth Angel by Og Mandino#
The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart*
The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey by Trenton Lee Stewart
Marathon of Faith by Rex and Janet Lee
Little Britches by Ralph Moody
Joseph Smith Rough Stone Rolling by Richard Lyman Bushman***
Anne of Windy Poplars by Lucy Maud Montgomery
Anne's House of Dreams by LMM*
Anne of Ingleside by LMM***
Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins*
The Gurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows**
3 Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin
The Adventures of Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Books Ashlee quit reading about half way through for one reason or another:

1776 by David McCullough
The Life of Pi by Yann Martel#
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold#

Reading for me this year was... good. I tried to venture out of my normal beloved fiction/classics and read some different types of books which I felt enhanced my year in reading greatly. It started with John Adams... a little slow going at first but when I really got into the story I was completely consumed by it... "why don't we talk more in school about John Adams?"..."Benjamin Franklin is a punk!"... "I can't believe I never knew these things!" ... were just a few of the thoughts I had. I love John Adams... totally, totally love him. I bawled at the end when he died even though... duh... I knew that was coming but I couldn't help having a strong emotional response to such a life well lived. You know? I felt kind of honored to "know him," and to live in a country that was so miraculously founded. Beyond getting to know John and co. better I learned a lot about American History and I just gobbled it all up.

Another such book was Joseph Smith Rough Stone Rolling. My love for, and testimony of Joseph was significantly enhanced. I guess I had a picture in my head of who and what the Prophet was before reading it and not that I think I was wrong, but I just didn't know the half of it you know? Also, reading it made me feel a part of something bigger than I usually take the time to feel. When I think of what the gospel is, and what I am doing... I think of it in terms of ME, MY family, and NOW. I guess I have been concerned about my own salvation and that of my family I have known on earth, and that's basically where it stopped. While reading this book however I feel I caught at least a small portion of Joseph's vision and purpose. I feel so much more now the importance of what I do in my personal life as it relates to the whole... the building up of the kingdom of God on Earth and the preparation for the Second Coming. I finished the book very motivated to do better in all aspects of my life and I wanted to start reading it again - this time with a red pencil in hand- immediately. I also know that I will remember other key early church leaders and history better than ever. It stuck better coming from this source for some reason. I can totally tell you who Sidney Rigdon is now. Five points to me.

Obviously the aforementioned books earn a spot on my best-of-the-year list let's talk about a few others shall we? The Anne of Green Gables series gets two thumbs way up from me... I have previously stated on my blog some important reasons that I loved them and to offer something different here I will say that they were also laugh-out-loud, kick-me-in-the-pants funny. The Mysterious Benedict Society series was highly enjoyable... very original idea, love that it shows children as being so capable and important, really intense and exciting reads. I'm actually reading the latest installment now and very much enjoying it. Last but not least on my awesome-list I have to take a second and acknowledge one Mr. Charles Dickens for his absolute gem of a book: David Copperfield. I loved it. Oh HOW I loved it. I thought it terribly romantic (although how queer to read such a romantic book from the head of the boy not the girl) very funny, and it touched on some of my favorite themes... the real meaning of love, parents unconditional love and devotion for their children, forgiveness, integrity... and the like. Books like that are classics for a reason. Bravo Mr. Dickens! Bravo!

Now typically I would take a moment to bash my least favorites. Ummm... I didn't have any this year that I truly despised. The ones I really hated I stopped reading because this year was not exactly a fiddle-faddle year. My reading time was precious and rare so I didn't waste it. I stopped 1776 because it just wasn't John Adams... I would read another McCullough that was focussed on ONE person but not one on general history. I stopped The Life of Pi because all the philosophy got a bit old... cool at the beginning but I lost interest pretty quick. And I stopped The Lovely Bones because it was poorly-written trash. I also gave poor ratings to The Five People You Meet in Heaven and The Twelfth Angel because I thought they were too cheesy, and I know you may find this hard to believe coming from me, but I don't do cheesy in my literature. In life? Certainly. In books? Nope. I like things that resonate deeply and cheesy just doesn't do it for me. I will say also that Alice in Wonderland narrowly missed a negative rating because of a clever little poem contained therein that had me giggling all evening.

That's it for now folks. Here's to Happy Reading in 2010! I am three books in so far and loving it already!

Oh! One more last thing: read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society if you haven't already. It's excellent too!

I bet now you are missing Corey. Want his breakdown of the year too? Don't worry. It'll be coming shortly.
Okay really, THIS is the last thing. I swear! I read a lot of other things that are not on this list... scriptures, nutritional info etc. And because I read so much with the boys too, I feel that my list would be incomplete with out mentioning THIS series that we checked out from the library a lot when we lived in Murray. We giggled and giggled at those books and I would be sad if I didn't give them a spot on this post. I do so love reading with Jack and Aly.

8 comments:

coryshay said...

Huzzah!! The book review comes to Everyday Love (at the same time it came to my blog... a little weird, eh?) Love your book reviews as usual. I'm definitely going to try David Copperfield and all the other books you gave great ratings to. I trust your opinion completely, and just like you, my reading time is too precious to read trash. We'll have to check out the Gossie series when Jocelyn is a little older. Looking forward to Corey's review of course, and am excited about all the great reading ideas you gave me! My review is not so well written as yours... I did it in about 8 different sittings, but finally made it through in tact, although a little disjointed in places.

I have been wanting to read Rough Stone Rolling forever, and I started it several times, but I just can't get past that preliminary history stuff. But It is a New Years Resolution this year, so we're going to do it!

coryshay said...

oh, and p.s. I completely agree with your review of Five People and Twelfth Angel... very very cheesy. I felt like they were trying to make me cry, which shouldn't be an authors end goal in my opinion. I have a real problem with people who try to be deep and philosophical and try to make you cry, etc. You're either profound or you're not... just be who you are, and don't try to be Aristotle! Glad you feel the same way

coryshay said...

thanks so much for your comment on my blog today. You don't know how much it means to me to have someone as awesome as you consider me a friend. You are so great!

And I also forgot, I started The Curious Incident of the Dog in the NIght, and I had to stop after 2 pages. 2 PAGES!! 2 F bombs, a dog murder and a feeling that it wasn't going to get any better. As you said, you gotta know when to put something down.

And I sooooo wish we could do a luncheon, just you and me for several hours discussing all of this. Oh well, at least we have the internet. My neighbor is moving out, wanna move in next door?

Pokemon said...

First of all, thanks for stopping by my blog and adding your thoughts. I so want to raise children like the boy in the video...children who will stand up for what is right despite any opposition. I liked that point. Thanks.

Now to comment on this post: Wow, what a list...I am a bit jealous that your reading list contains so many wonderful "adultish" books. ;) You must still have sleepers or stay up at night or I don't know. When do you fit it in? My little man is done with naps and thus I have been done with reading for a while. Maybe when preschool starts this fall I will read books other than Dr. Seuss, If You Give a Pig a Pancake, and Mother Goose. Don't get me wrong I love children's books but a good book read just for me is always nice.

I will definitely consider your list when the time comes that reading enters my life once again. Thanks for sharing.

Rachel and Todd said...

I read the Guernsey Lit. PPP Society and LOVED it. I'm looking forward to reading David Copperfield. I'm impressed you're such a great reader! Since graduating college I've enjoyed it much more, too. How can I join your ibook club??

Rachel and Todd said...

P.S. Amber Ritter told me that she met you at a book store and said you were so nice to her! Thank you!!

Jen said...

I love your yearly book review. I am amazed by how much you read! I have thought about doing a similar post on my blog (since I love reading yours so much), but it is shameful that I don't read more. I love reading your posts because it gives me such great ideas for fiction books to read. (I spend more time reading non-fiction economics and history books.)

Funny, I kind of liked The Five People You Meet in Heaven. Now you know that deep down, I am kind of cheesy (despite my inability to be moved to tears by EFY songs in high school). Also, I think that you should finish 1776 (although I think I like John Adams better too). I have a secret crush on David McCullough. He gave a speech to history teachers in Utah earlier this year and it was fabulous.

Thanks again for a great post. I'll be checking out a few of your highly recommended books. Love you.

Emily Dawn said...

This is Emily's mom. You must finish reading Lovely Bones. I know it seems a little boorish, but it does show how people end up coping. I think unless you have had someone you know murdered, you don't understand the pain and letting go and this book helps.