My History

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Christmas and a Confession

Okay Confession First:
I DO NOT LIKE BLOGGING ABOUT HOLIDAYS.
Whew. I feel so much better having got that off my chest.
Don't get me wrong I love actually living the holidays. Our Christmas was fantastic. Top Notch. Magnifique. But I don't really want to write about it. Nevertheless it is my duty to record these memories and so I will. Not much commentary though. I have delayed this long enough and I only convinced myself to just DO it already by agreeing with myself (I'm not the only one who holds mental conversations with myself am I?!?) that I will only be expected to give minimal commentary.
This will be quite easily accomplished thanks to my lack of pictoral tenacity during the holidays. (that's fancy for - I didn't take very many good pictures)
For example, this:
is the only picture we got of the ward Christmas party. Yep. One measly shot of Alaster prior to even arriving. Christmas party was good. I played my flute! Haven't done that in years and it felt wonderful! I quite enjoyed it.
Our Festive Fridge:
The boys made these to give away as gifts to family on Christmas Day. I knew they would be getting so many things so I really wanted them to be able to know what it felt like to be on the other end. They were really excited to make/give them.

Christmas Eve Eve (yes that's a real day) the boys went to Gram and Grampas for the afternoon. Cute bunch eh?

Okay these pics are of Christmas Eve and Christmas Morning. Christmas Eve we spent entirely with just the 4 of us and no extended family. I prepared the house (I had to work Christmas Eve Eve or I would have done it then) we ran some last minute errands- like stocking shopping- and then just spent the night enjoying eachother and having an FHE about the Savior. When the boys went to bed Corey and I got things ready for the morning and just hung out. We love our little family. It was such a great day.

Are you wondering about the food shots? I can hear you thinking "I thought you were a vegetarian Ashlee. What's with the Salmon and Sausage?!?" Well the sausage is Morning Star's Veggie Sausages and the Salmon is actually Veggie Salmon. Just kidding. The Salmon is real Salmon. I have decided to be a pescatarian. Two portions of fish for us per week. Christmas post is not the proper place for further explanation beyond that. For questions see me after class... or something.
I love cooking for my family and I love that it was all very well received. Christmas Eve dinner I made Salmon, an indulgent white-pasta-full-fat-homemade-alfredo bowtie pasta, buttery lemon pepper brussel sprouts and steamed carrots.

Christmas morning was our favorite standard whole-grain breakfast biscuit accompanied by scrambled eggs, veggie sausages, blackberry banana salad, and orange juice. Yumm!

5 comments:

Opal said...

You are an excellent writer, Ashlee, capturing the texture of your life so well. And a mensch as well. My dearest friend here in Phoenix is a strong, beautiful Jewish woman from Poland whose parents were both in concentration camps during the Holocaust (they both survived). She is constantly teaching me Yiddish and we discuss what we would like our imprint on the world to be, and both want to be remembered as "a true mensch". I am gently working on it every day and know that the only path is via my spirituality, staying connected to the Divine Source of all Good/God. You are so already there! You guys all seem to have such a great time together! With much love and respect, Opal

Amberlin Gefrom said...

Why don't you like writing about holidays? everything you write is very well done. I am a little bit concerned though, and not saying this to be scolding you but out of concern..I guess I should have figured it out that you are a vegetarian from all previous posts but Ashlee being a vegetarian is not good at all..I know the cruelty to animal things but your body does need red meat. Vegetarians die like in their early 30's...I have studied this a lot and that just scares me for you! you dont have to eat a cow every day but you need to eat meat girl!

Cal and Whit said...

Hooray! I love your Christmas posts! It was so fun to see pics of you guys and of Corey's family on Christmas! What a fun day!

Aerika Larsen-Newman said...

Look how cute your family is :) I miss you all so much :( anyway you said to comment so you can have my blog :D now you do ^_^ hope you check it out it's not where near as cool or great as yours :P love you

Rachel and Todd said...

Mmmm. That food looks fantastic! I bet you're an amazing cook. I love the handmade ornaments, too! It looks like you have such a fun family.