Happy Valentines Day one and All!
Valentines Day is one of my absolute favorite days of the year and it always has been. When I was a wee lass I regretted heavily that my birthday was not a few days earlier so I could claim the day as mine.
Valentines Day is fantastic in every stage of life don't you think? Who didn't love their big Valentine exchanges in Elementary School? Or getting love notes from their secret admirers in Jr. High? When Corey and I were engaged he gave me black socks sprinkled with rose petals and baby's breath (true story) and I knew then I was headed for the romance of a lifetime.
Corey and I have both really enjoyed the "married-with-kids," brand of Valentines Day too.
Here's how our day has been so far:
My mom used to make homemade Valentines and cute treat bags which would be sitting by our breakfast on Valentines Day morning.
I loved this tradition. What a perfect way to start the day!
Every year I think about it but for some reason this was the first year that I did it for my own little family. Last night Corey and I made and put up festive hearts to hang over our kitchen table, and I made my special Valentines for Corey and the darlings. They were to be the centerpiece for breakfast and we had it all ready for when the boys woke up. I loved doing something that was so like my mom-- except I did cups instead of bags. It still counts right?
It was so fun for Corey and I to do. We genuinely love making things for the boys, and it's such a fun thing to do together. We were excited to see their reactions in the morning to the surprises, and thankfully they didn't dissapoint. I think they liked it as much as we hoped they would.
Other notes about the collage: Cindy gave me those plates. I love them! Not all the hanging hearts had words but the ones that did said: "I love you and you love me," "We are a happy family," (we like to sing that song) "C+A," and then each of us had a heart with our name on it.
Yesterday Gram had her little boys over for some love-day festivities. They made Valentines and watched some Scooby Doo. She also sent them home with adorable Valentine buckets complete with stickers and goodies. She gave them cards too but I made them wait until this morning to open them. My Valentines were supposed to be opened after breakfast but the boys just couldn't wait! I didn't mind. I was glad that they liked them. On each of the Valentines I wrote 3 things that I love about them. Maybe I'll post the three things on another day.
After opening Valentines we ate our breakfast and Daddy even woke up to join us!
Since the boys got some treats from both Gram and Me in their Valentines I decided not to do any kind of Valentine Dessert today. Plus the boys were not the only ones to be given treats. That same wonderful Gram may have satisfied my sugar cookie cravings in her Valentine to me. (Cindy: I'm half way through them already... are you completely ashamed of me?!?)
So instead of making treats we did a festive and completely healthy breakfast (yep even the strawberry sauce was healthy) as our fun food of the day. It was met with good reviews from all. I was so pleased.
Do you do love sandwiches in your family? If not you should start. Garaunteed laugh every time. It's the best when all 4 of us get in on it!
Since coming home from church we have eaten dinner and are now just hanging around, eating our treats and enjoying being a family. Alaster has been pure comedy this evening, and Jack hasn't been exactly "boring," either. I don't remember the last time Corey has laughed so much in one night. It's been simply marvelous.
And our plans for the evening you ask? Well... Corey and I are going to snuggle on the couch and watch Cassablanca. We've never seen it, although we have always wanted to, and we thought Valentines would be a nice day to finally do it.
So that's it for now! Hope you had a Lovey-Dovey Valentines Day too!




12 comments:
YOU ARE SO CUTE!! I love your Vday festivities. And I would love to hear what you wrote to your boys. Those smoothies and pancakes looked delish. I'm hoping you'll post those healthy recipes! Especially that sauce. MMMMM!!
Let me know what you think of Casablanca. I have mixed feelings. I think it's so romantic in a "I hate this stupid girl and the way the story came about" sort of way. And I kind of wonder how stories like that become legendary romances.....where's the happy ending for everyone?! The world just needs to realize how romantic ETERNITY and COMMITMENT are. Sorry, I'm off my soapbox now. ;)
What a fun day. Our Valentine festivities are a little overshadowed by our little man's birthday the day before. I spent so much time planning for his special day that today kind of was lacking. Your day looks like so much fun I will have to plan ahead next year. We did have heart shaped grilled cheese for lunch but that was about it.
I also love your "love sandwich". We do something quite similar but it is called a pillow sandwich at our house. So instead of just people pillows are also thrown in there and each one is a sandwich topping. Basically the same idea. It gets us all laughing.
Happy Valentine's Day!
What an awesome mom you are! I definitely need to be taking notes! Such great traditions!
Pillow sandwich, people sandwich it is all the same FUN FUN FUN. Sounds like you guys had a great day. How's the new calling? We are still working out the kinks and we got called 11 October. Hope you are doing well. MISS YOU SO MUCH love aunt deedee
I LOVE THE WHOLE THING!! That is SO inspiring. Gimme next year, man... Maybe I'll come up with something almost as cute as that! :)
Darling! I will get back to being a cute and fun mom after we are settled into our house....we got it and are closing this week! YEAH!
My mom would make us a Valentine breakfast with our Valentines on our plates too! Such a great tradition. I love the thoughtful and cute decor.
very very cute! I love it! I love the table decorations, the hearts, the meal...the whole thing. Very darling and very festive! Also...I can't wait to get the strawberry sauce recipe! I showed Cal the pics of your valentines breakfast and told him I'll make those darling heart shaped strawberry goodnesses next year for him! I love it! :D
Hi Ashley! Of course I remember you:) Thanks so much for the comment and pointing me in the right direction with my blog book! Hopefully I can get it done before my little boy gets here in April. We'll see lol. It was fun to catch up through your blog...You have such a cute family!
Ash, I just wanted to add you to my friends list in my blogg...would that be ok with you?
What a fantastic idea. You are such an interactive mother. People Like you should have 11 kids. One day I will do cute little things like this. I very much love delightful traditions. P.S. Did you make the cake? If so, how did you like it.
I just wanted to drop another note and say hello! I love your idea for the love sandwich. You should couple it with triangle kisses...that's what we call it even though with Owen it is more a square now. Tanner and I each hold a child and we group our heads close and give our neighbor a big kiss on the cheek all at the same time and then we swap to kiss our other neighbors cheek. The kids love it and it goes on for a while right before bed. Love ya!
Post a Comment