Ain't it pretty?The Shedd Aquarium sits right on the edge of Lake Michigan in Chicago. From the Shedd the view of both the lake and the city are very nice indeed!
A week ago from this past Saturday we packed up with Gram and Grampa and headed there for a visit. The boys rode with Gram and Grampa on the way there which was appropriate as this was their birthday gift to Jack. Can you see how excited they were in the car? Gram's car is admittedly much more fun than ours. She was prepared!
In the bottom left photo you can see the whole gang all ready to go in the Shedd's lovely lobby.
We had such a great day! For the sake of time I will just record some highlights:
#1 Jack was stinking adorable. Sometimes when he gets tired he can also get a bit... ummm... snappish and disagreeable? But even though we totally wore him out he stayed sweet and excited the entire time. Even when he couldn't walk anymore, we would say "Hey look Jack! Isn't that cool!" and hear this tiny, tired voice say "Yeah! Really cool!" He was so sweet the whole day and I was so proud of him.
#2 Jack got to see sharks for the first time! He walked right up to that large and intimidating tank and watched a huge shark swim right past. You could tell it was kind of a magical moment and we stayed in the underground section where the sharks were for a long time. Jack also loved seeing the stingrays (you walk right over them in the floor!) jellies, and seahorses.
#3 Alaster was grumpy for the first half "See BEEBO!" (I want to see Nemo!) then when we found one, for there were many to be found, he would turn his head, refusing to look and say "uh uh." It was fun. But even during his grumpy phase he couldn't help but be thrilled about the massive spider crabs and the playful otter. After he got his second wind happy Alaster was back and he quite enjoyed himself. I think his favorite during the day was the penguins. He thought they were cute and funny, and he talked about them for a while in the car on the way home.
#4 Alaster started serious potty training two days before the trip and guess what? He spent the whole day, 3 hour car ride both ways and ALL, in underpants and not one accident! What in the world?!? Amazing. We knew he could do it and he did!
How cute does Jack look by that tank?!? He was just so adorable, and I was so glad that he had such a fantastic time. Also it was so nice of Ed and Cindy to treat the whole fam. They could have just taken Jack alone but they took us all! AND they treated us to dinner afterwards. It was wonderful!
Although, before falling asleep we had one pretty comical conversation.
Ashlee: Jack what was your favorite thing you saw today?
Jack: The Sharks!
Ashlee: Yeah they were amazing! Alaster what was your favorite thing you saw today?
Alaster, loudly: Habberhead (hammerhead) Sharks!!!
Jack: Aly there were no hammerhead sharks.
Aly, quieter: Oh.... (pause)... sorry.
He's been saying 'sorry' at really funny times lately. Kind of a little side note, but there you have it.
A lovely day, with lovely people, in a fun and exciting place! Thank you Gram and Grampa!



6 comments:
Aquariums are the coolest place to take kids because they can run and see things quickly or slowly depending on their mood. Uncle David and I took Victoria and Cosette to the National Aquarium in Baltimore... COSETTE and JACK would be so fun to watch in an aquarium together!!!! they would run and run and then fade out and SLEEP all the way home!!! GREAT post Ash. Love you guys love aunt deedee
What a fantastic birthday gift! It looks like the boys really loved going. That is so great that Jack even stayed happy because he was enjoying it so much!
How fun! Simeon love the sharks and snakes at our aquarium. Our's just got penguins. I am so excited!
I can only imagine Jacka and his fascination with the sea life. Your boys are so darn cute. Thanks for blogging...it's so nice to see what you guys are up to. Miss ya! Congrats on the potty training. Hooray. Owen keeps talking about the potty and I will find him sitting on it wearing his clothes and then he will wipe himself. he is always so proud. :)
I have seriously lost my mind! I thought that I already commented on this, seeing as how I have told everyone how darling those boys were at the aquarium! Oh, and that Alaster with the hammerhead sharks! That was a hoot! Cal and I have laughed about that for a couple days now! he he he! I loved that Jack was so sweet even though he was so tired, and I love that you guys got to go do this! How fun!
I love the picture of Alaster in the van all buckled up and ready to go! What an exciting boyhood memory that will be!
Post a Comment