My History

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Words

Alrighty. As promised I am here now to write 'the words,' to accompany the formerly posted pictures that record Jack's first day of Kindergarten.
(Full-Day Kindergarten for those of you who asked)

The day started out nice and early. His Daddy had already seen to a blessing the night before, so the morning of we needed only to eat our breakfast, do a quick bath, dress, brush teeth, grab our many bags, wake our sleepy daddy, and go!
First stop: Gram and Grampa's House! We chatted a bit, he got some Grandparenty words of love and encouragement, we took a few pictures and were on our way once more.

When we pulled up to the school it felt bright, friendly, and alive. The sun was shining, youngsters were capering about, and the air was filled with energy and expectancy.
The first day of school! Such a big day!

Jack could not have been cuter. We loved watching him run around the playground, and hearing his comments about it all through his altered speech with that adorable missing tooth.
The picture you saw of me holding him on the playground was because he requested that snuggle. He also gave both Corey and I the tightest hugs and the sincerest, unsolicited I-love-you's.

I suggested to him at one point that he may want to hug Alaster good-bye as well. They proceeded to squeeze each other... and jiggle back and forth... which soon turned into laughing and saying silly goodbyes etc. etc. moving one parent bystander to comment "Oh... well... it just doesn't get any better than that."
I totally agree.

After all the goodbyes and final words were spoken we watched the teacher lead him up the stairs.... and out of our lives forever.
He didn't even look back.
Okay I admit that's a bit dramatic. True (the not looking back part, not the out of our lives forever part) but dramatic nonetheless. At that moment though that's about what it felt like.
Bless him for being so affectionate up until that point.
And truthfully, I am so grateful that he was so confident and happy going in. That's the good way right? You don't really want them to have an emotional melt down and have to be drug in.
I held in the tears until he was in the building, and then I let 'em come. I still did better than both Corey and I expected though. I just had to keep reminding myself what a good move this was for him.

All the previous day and of course through the actual first day, I enjoyed remembering his first 5 years and all our happy memories of home life with Jack.
I remembered when we lived downtown in SLC. It was just the two of us at home, and he was teaching me how to be a mommy. I absolutely loved the rhythm of those days.
I remembered moving to Murray and our daily jaunts to Murray Park.
I remembered teaching him his letters and how to read.
I remembered all the things that make Jack so very... Jack.
He truly is one of a kind!

Aly and I had very fun and very noticeably quiet morning together. We painted. We played trains. We went to the library. "Juss you an' me mom!" (cute, cute) Let the record show that while I am missing Jack, I am also very much looking forward to all this one-on-one time I will have with Alaster.

Also that morning I called Whitney. It was just what I needed. I told her everything I was thinking and feeling... which was a lot. She cried and commiserated with me. Corey tried, but he was just a bit too excited for Jack to fully do the job. Everyone needs a Whitney I tell you.

Jack of course had a smashing time that has continued through this week. We love hearing every little detail that he will give to us, and are sure this year is going to be fantastic!

Three things of note that I am already loving about his school:

One of his teachers looks like a modern day Miss Honey.
At Parent Orientation she talked about how the school encourages the children to 'make good choices,' it's in their daily pledge that the kids say, and it's the verbage that the teachers use within their behavioral programs. Gospel words? I'm lovin' it!
The music room has a massive gong.
-------
Oh, and just in case you are feeling a little down tonight I thought you'd like to see this:

Yes he did wear it everywhere I took him.
Yes he was totally proud of it.
No Corey was not excited when I brought this home from an activity-formerly-known-as-enrichment last night.
Yes he did come around to it when woken up with the sweetest care bear love on the planet.
And yes he is completely innocent and sweet and just what a sweet little three year old boy should be.

4 comments:

Rachel and Todd said...

I love your words. You are such a good writer. You capture the whole feel of the day--I picture it so well in my mind!

Rachel and Todd said...

P.S. Henry wore his Spiderman costume all day today, too. How funny. I think Aly is adorable. I love his faces! Today Sis. Scott told me how wonderful Aly was yesterday, which was a little embarrassing seeing as how I had to save little Violet from being pushed over or smacked by Henry . . .

coryshay said...

Aw... I love the words. And I love that cute little care bear!

Emily Dawn said...

You wont let your boy take dance but you will let him wear that?

I am still laughing!