My History

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Dear Fellow Bloggers

I am soon to be traveling to Utah.
Alone.
Weird.
I have mixed feelings about it, but that's not what I am here to discuss.
I have connecting flights there and back again and will have lots and lots of time on my hands.
I think it will be the most alone time I have had in... well... ages.
And what better to do with lots and lots of alone time than
READ?!?

Nothing that's what!
So I thought I'd ask for your recommendations.
Here are the qualifiers:

1
-Nothing too deep. I don't want to cry when I am squished next to a stranger with no where to move.. or worse... NOT cry when I really feel like it... like if I'm not able to totally emotionally commit because I'm afraid I will lose it. You know? So nothing tearjerkery, sweet to the point of tears, etc. etc. A lot of my personal favorites fall in that category but this trip will not be the time.

2
- I would love something thrilling! You know... the kind of book you just-can't-put-down! Because guess what? I won't have to! I will actually be able to indulge to my hearts content! And yes, I have already read the Hunger Games series.

3
- Ummm... I think that's all actually. I'm open to suggestions. I love the classics, really good children's literature (I have recently reread favorites from my childhood- From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler etc.), and appreciate all types of good fiction. I'm certainly not limited to any one particular genre.

So dear friends... what do you suggest?

13 comments:

coryshay said...

Have you read the Shadow Children series by Haddix? I thought it was as good as the Uglies series (which is good as well and along the same lines), but it's written for a younger crowd. Very fun to get into, but not very deep and each book took me about 3 hours of reading slow.

Have you read all 7 Anne's? I am almost done with Avonlea and ready to dive into the next one!

Anything Shannon Hale, of course, but you've probably read them all. Austenland is very light reading but very enjoyable.

The Ember series??

I don't know... you've probably read all those, but those are my favorite light reading books

Jenika said...

From the Mixed-Up Files is probably one of the best books EVER!

Most of what I read is nonfiction, so I don't know if this will meet your criteria, but I recently finished The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. Normally I roll my eyes at these kinds of books but this was a NYT bestseller, so I picked it up. She goes through a year of learning about happiness and tries different things to try to increase her happiness. This includes things such as decluttering, starting a collection, revisiting things she loves, being patient, examining her marriage, being silly etc. Nothing totally earth-shattering but her observations are spot-on. She folds in happiness research and wisdom from different people and tries one new thing per month. (Thus the book is easy to read because each chapter is a month so if you have to read it in stop-and-go segments you don't lose track of what's happening). She discusses what works and didn't work for her, and is often painfully honest about her "failures" (snapping at her kids/husband, selfish moments, etc). I like it because it's a real person trying concrete things and chronicling the journey. It amused and inspired me, without being sappy, overly optimistic, or glossing over the less happy parts of life.

I look forward to others' suggestions. By the way - you should ask Holli on Sunday, she always has good book recommendations!

RJamie said...

The Help. I loved it and it was a great read. Also what about Heidi. I've read that book about 10 times, I love it too. I always wanted to sleep in a loft full of hay like her and eat roasted cheese.

Cheeseboy said...

For kids I love the Lemony Snickett series. Cathi says she liked a book called "The 13th Hour", but she said it does have a few swear words.

deemom said...

Once Upon a Town--Bob Greene (true story about the people of North Platte, NE that met EVERY train that passed thru their town during WWII. AWESOME non-fiction) Should be able to find it in a used books section or abebooks.com BEST USED BOOK PLACE EVER. IF you can find it the Name of the Wind is AWESOME. I would have to reorient myself to this world whenever I stopped reading BIG BOOK might be too heavy for carrying on the plane. CANNOT WAIT TO SEE YOU!!!

Ashley said...

Okay, I just finished a book recommended to me by my mother in law and I loved it! Have you ever read Georgette Hyer? She writes like Jane Austen with a little action mixed in. "These Old Shades" was great.

Good luck being alone! Sounds scarily quiet!

Amberlin Gefrom said...

Um..I wish I had a reccomendation for you but I am not so much a reader, :-( but I praise the people who do ha! Seriously I cant sit still..I read scriptures or short things like cereal boxex etc. haha. anyways I REALLY REALLY hope you have the most wonderful time in Utah..I just got back and its always a bittersweet trip. Your long due for one and go get one of those yummy sugar cookies in sugarhouse park@

Autumn said...

Maybe you have already come and gone :( I highly recommend Captain from Castille by Samuel Shellabarger. It is one of my favorite books. It's historical fiction and is a fantastic read especially if you can do lots of reading in solid chunks of time. I am finally reading the Hunger Games series because it took so long for my name to pop up on the top of the waiting list. Tanner read it too and loved it. Now just waiting for book number 2 and baby number 3. I am due on Friday but could have it any time. Miss ya! Sorry I have been so lousy to keep in touch.

Rebecca said...

Read "The Hunger Games"? Read it!

Anonymous said...

HI ,
I am still waiting on the printer to get your giclee print done,
as soon as I get it and get the goldlleafing done I will send it out.
sorry it is taking so long.

Maren Scott

coryshay said...

Did you get through Middlemarch?

Unknown said...

So, I know you are back from Utah now. Sorry I am so late...but I totally side with the Hunger Games and the Uglies Series votes. I hope you find those and read those. They are both light, quick reads...but they also leave one of the lingering thinkers. Miss and love you Ash girl! You da' bomb diggity! I hope you had a fun trip and are happy and well.

Hannah said...

Ashlee,
Brigg is not completely dry at night, though he will wake up to use the bathroom. My other boys just did it, like you said with Jack. Luke did almost immediately. Sam took a bit of time. We were just always sure to avoid a lot of fluid at night and have them use the bathroom right before bed....and kept talking about it. He, eventually, just started staying dry. I think we also used pull ups for him, which have those cars that disappear if they're wet. That always seems to be a bit of an incentive. BUT, I know that it is not uncommon for a child to still wet at night at 4 and even 5 years old. My nephew was like this and they used some other methods to help him when he got to 5 and still wetting. I wouldn't worry about it until then....I think Alaster will just eventually start doing it.
Sorry I don't have a magic method. :) I wish we were closer so our boys could play! I love reading about them on your blog!
Hannah