My History

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Hospital Stay

Truman and I had an absolutely wonderful hospital stay. I opted for the two night stay instead of just one, and am oh-so-glad that I did. The floor that I stayed on is called the LDRP - never asked what it stands for... labor and delivery.... really... peaceful? pretty? pleasant? punctual? I dunno. Anyway, it was great.

Because you have to qualify to deliver on this floor it is insanely quiet. Each time we were visited by staff that had to man both floors- the pediatrician, the midwives etc. people commented on how quiet it was compared to the normal Labor and Delivery which was apparently a total zoo while we were there. Except to hear one lady deliver in the room next to us (Oh! I felt your pain sister-friend!) we didn't hear a peep the entire stay. My nurse told me "You are my only patient so feel free to use and abuse me!" I think there was just me and that one other mom on the entire floor the whole time we were there. Hence: our care was fantastic. It was so very peaceful, people were unhurried and kind, and I felt like we were in a lovely time warp where I could just cuddle my newest darling and get to know every little inch of him.

As mentioned, Corey was able to be with us all day during our stays. He spent the evenings athome, but other than that he was with us. We were quiet a majority of the time... we just took care of and loved on our little one... talked a bit... rested a bit... watched a bit of tv (which we decided was pretty unimpressive... glad we don't have it at home...) it was slow and quiet and lovely.


Wondering what the bed controller is doing in that collage? That is one of the things that Corey and I giggled about during labor... the funny little pregnant belly :) He saw it and pointed it out to me... and we couldn't stop laughing. Even looking at it now gives me the giggles.

There were happy phone calls to loved ones, and more visits:

See the pic with Jack holding his hands together making a tiny circle? He's commenting on how cute and small Truman's nose is. Cindy told us how sweet Alaster had been in his prayer the night that Truman was born... "Thank the that Truman is here... and thank thee that he is cute... and thank thee that I love Truman..." etc. etc. They love this little baby so much!


Some of my favorite moments with Truman happened after Corey left for the night. That's when we had our skin to skin time, and when I said my prayers of gratitude for our perfectly healthy, perfectly sweet little boy. I did send him to the nurses eventually so that I could get some rest... and honestly... I bet he was glad to get away from me. I couldn't keep my hands off of him! I stroked his little face and back, kissed all over his cheeks and hands, pressed my face against his... he just smelled and felt so wonderful! I couldn't help myself!

I loved our hospital bonding time. I am such a lucky mommy!

2 comments:

Pokemon said...

What a sweet little boy. I've enjoyed reading all of the wonderful morsels about this perfect bundle of joy. There is just something about a newborn. And I love that your boys are so in love with Truman. Too sweet. :) Congratulations and good luck with the first weeks.

Rachel and Todd said...

CONGRATULATIONS, CONGRATULATIONS, CONGRATULATIONS!! I'm so happy for the entire Burton family. What a beautiful, beautiful baby. You deserved every peaceful moment of your hospital visit. I'm so glad you could rest and enjoy your little one so much. What priceless times those were/are! Oh, I can't wait to see you again and meet Truman. I can't think of another baby who was so anxiously awaited for than Truman. What a lucky little pair you are. I love you!!