My History

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Jack's Journal

Many of you know Jack.

You know of his Star Wars obsession, his athletic ability and competitiveness, and how he loves to play and play hard ... but did you know Jack has a a very sweet little serious side? Did you know he is developing a testimony of the gospel? Did you know he sometimes will spend a serious chunk of time, slowing down and doing things that are important?

One day a few weeks ago Jack saw Corey's journal laying out. He asked what it was and I taught him a little bit about journaling. He thought it was pretty neat and went to go get his current favorite notebook. That notebook is now his journal. He spent, I kid you not, over 2 hours writing in solitude that night. Some of it was outside... which produced the pages I am going to show you, some of it was done later inside (not pictured).


Because the picture is broken up, you can't really see... but across the top he wrote (and I am going to write what he MEANT, not with the incorrect spellings etc.) "Jack Burton All By Himself." He was so proud of being able to do this without any help. It was so fun that he wanted to show Corey and I what he wrote! Pretty sure that won't last forever :(

So here is what he wrote in case you need some help seeing it:

I cleaned my room all by myself.
(True story! First time in his life that we didn't ask him to do it, he just did it! Oh he was SO proud of himself!)
It was awesome. Dad was impressed with me. I was so happy. I did go to the Tanners. We had fun. Dad took us to get a drink. We got mom. (picked me up from work after playing at the Tanners while daddy helped the Slades move). Mom had a quick check up (at the midwives). We got pizza. We ate it. Alaster and Me and Mom go to the park. Alaster went down the slide. Then I went down the slide and came over to a table and went (?) something and saw two birds.


We came home to get a drink. I asked Dad to come out with me. He came out with me. We saw so many flies. Dad came inside the house, I kept writing. Dad (?) something. Mom is washing the dishes. A fan thing on that are noisy (our AC outside was going and it was really bothering him) I don't like that, but it turned off. The water turned off. The fan drives me crazy, and they're actually pretty loud. It is grey outside. The trees are green. I am in the little backyard. Two more page left, one more line. I forgot something. The end.

Pretty cute huh?


We love it when Jack gets in these moods. It brings back memories of when I did things like this and thought I was so grown up :)

4 comments:

coryshay said...

That's just adorable!

Alysa Stewart said...

I love it! :D I'm guessing that he wrote "Dad saw something" on the second page. And also that he saw two boys on the playground, there at the end of the first. What a cutie!

deemom said...

What a kid.... HE will be so fun as a teenager and as an adult and as a father.... OH THE JOY THAT IS COMING YOUR WAY each and everyday with a child who is extraordinary.... love aunt deedee

Cal and Whit said...

Darling! Absolutely darling! This post made me so happy!! I love it so so much! I was so happy to see the pictures of his adorable little body working on his journal! What a sweet little boy, That Jack! He is truly one of a kind, and I absolutely adore him and his darling little journal! :D squeeze him for us!