Yesterday in the kitchen alone with feelings of insecurity, I brooded over a new friendship (no one that reads this blog... please don't be concerned) that is currently causing me frustration. It somehow branched into other relationships and I contemplated severing all ties and becoming a recluse.
While I was in this lovely mood Corey woke and came downstairs on his way to work. It didn't take long before I launched into the situation with him, telling him about my crazy thoughts that I know are crazy... about the weirdness and weaknesses in myself that I can't stand... about how I wish I were different etc. etc. etc.
He looked at me patiently. He listened to me with full understanding and compassion. And I was moved to remind him as I have on other occasions "you are the only person in the world that I feel completely normal with."
And it's always been that way. From the get-go 8+ years ago till now. The only other person that can come close to the feeling of safeness and openness that I have with Corey was my mom. It's not that I don't have other close and honest relationships with others... I do.
But they aren't like what I have with him.
He looked at me patiently. He listened to me with full understanding and compassion. And I was moved to remind him as I have on other occasions "you are the only person in the world that I feel completely normal with."
And it's always been that way. From the get-go 8+ years ago till now. The only other person that can come close to the feeling of safeness and openness that I have with Corey was my mom. It's not that I don't have other close and honest relationships with others... I do.
But they aren't like what I have with him.
I tried to put into words what I meant, hoping that I provide that same feeling for him. And even though it probably came out all messy and wrong, I knew he understood. And he assured me that he felt the same on his end too.Then as he walked out the door and I told him "Don't worry! This house will be absolutely beautiful when you get home." He answered simply and sincerely "Just like the lady who lives here."
I love being married. Truly.
(Pictures taken from our date last week where we celebrated our 8th anniversary. We saw The Hunger Games-- loved it-- and ate out thanks to a gift card from Ed and Cindy!)

5 comments:
Beautifully said. :) We feel the same way. And while sometimes I feel sad about only having ONE person who gets me quite that way....it's also pretty special.
Happy anniversary!!!
Awwww happy anniversary. I am still hestitant about opening up in the future but hopefully it will change and maybe I can find some one wonderful like him.
That's one of the reasons I love Jacob -- I'm so comfortable with him. I'm so glad you've got that, too!
Glad you have someone to be 'normal' with .:) Love the cute ideas and awesome things you have done with your kids. They looks so sweet and happy.
Happy anniversary to a pretty amazing couple!
Post a Comment