My History

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Social

Corey have lived comfortably on the outskirts of the social boundaries in each ward we have attended together. We were always friendly with our ward families, but rarely did we actually become friends with them.

You could point the obvious finger at my calling for an explanation as to why the pattern has broken here, but we suspect the answer goes deeper than that.

We are absolutely in love with our ward family. When/If the day comes that we have to leave them... it will hurt... badly. But in and odd way that will be some comfort actually.

I feel confident that because of our friends here we will know how to jump in, serve, and make connections that matter wherever we go.

We won't be satisfied with a half in-half out presence anymore. We have been shown a better way! Future wards be ye warned: We will want you in our home! We hope to be invited to yours! We want to know you, help you, learn from you and have fun with you!

Would you like to see some of our lovely ward chums?

I was asked to host the Relief Society cooking group in March. The theme was Vegetarian Cooking. People brought vegetarian dishes to share and I taught a little class. Everyone who attended had great ideas and recipes! We asked each other questions, shared tips and information, and in general enjoyed being together.

I was especially thrilled to learn from Susan, a dietician in our ward. It was so fun to pick her brain!

(L to R: Susan, Emily, Emiley, Natalie)

(L to R: Emily, Marianne, Marianne's Sister (visiting from out of town), Marie, Kiersten, Mindy, JaNae)

(Juliann and Ashlee)

We weren't sure how many people would show, but I ended up using every single chair that we own besides our couches and large seats in the living room. I call that a success! And I will be excited to attend future classes on a variety of subjects. Who isn't always on the look out for a new recipe?

Then this past weekend our friends Jeff and Emily decided to host a mostly-neighborhood BBQ. There are several LDS families that live here and we all got together after the afternoon session of General Conference on Saturday.

Have I told you lately how much I love living here?

Jack and Aly with their Black Bean Burgers.

(Top: Nick holding Truman, Rachel with Theo and Henry. Bottom: Jeff and Melanie, Andrew and Aly, Juliann and Jaron.)

(Top: David, Katie and Sarah, Scott, Catherine, Andrew, Ellie, Zana and Miles. Bottom: Ashlee and Corey, Emily, Nick and Truman, Emily and Jeff)

Thanks again Emily and Jeff!

And on Monday this week we hosted the Singles/Investigators Home Evening Group. I didn't take the camera out but we had a good time.

Here's to Ward Families! Sunday Meetings, Home and Visiting Teaching, Play Dates, Game Nights, Activities and Beyond!

2 comments:

Amberlin Gefrom said...

I am so glad you have had this experience. I can't even begin to express how much I love my ward family too...everyone from the elderly sweet couples who always hug me to even the moms that invite me for book group and we just eat and chat and then to all of my amazing friends I have in the ward. Seriously pricless..it makes it that much harder to get my butt going to a singles ward...I don't wanna do it! LOL

Emily Dawn said...

how fun and good for you:)!