My History

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Birdies

Allow me to introduce you to Mr. and Mrs. Bird and their soon to be children:
I am fairly sure I saw them once before. I noticed a pair of birds huddled together on a branch in a rainstorm outside our back window. I felt certain they were in love. Corey thought they were silly for not finding better shelter but I thought there was something symbolic and beautiful about them out there braving the storm together... so much so that I took a picture.

Just a few days after this incident a pair of birds... Oh it just has to be them, don't you think?!? They saw me looking and new I took an interest?... began making a nest on the boys chairs in our little backyard.

We have been watching with eager interest ever since. The day we found the eggs was thrilling! At first Mrs. Bird was easily startled by us despite our taking great pains to open the sliding glass door with care, walk slowly keeping our eyes forward etc. She has since warmed up.

We check on her frequently, speculate about her life, and wait with great anticipation for her babies to appear.

Just having her there would have been the perfect way to welcome spring... but we decided to build our First Day of Spring Celebration around her arrival.

Funny enough the boys had received Bird House kits from Corey for Christmas. They built them a while back, but they had not painted them. So our first activity of the day was to finish that job:
Don't the boys look a little wacko in those pictures? Haha! They were crazy with excitement to get going or something... I don't know.

Daddy gave wonderful instructions and then off they went. We have lots of leftover paint from projects around the house so we didn't even have to purchase any. Score!
Aly is particularly excited to get them hung outside for the Bird Family. We will buy food and hope that they move in and that the squirrelies leave them alone!

(In answer to the question I know you are going to have... Jack wanted to write 'Jack 2012' on the back of his, but apparently there was only room for "J 20")

For dinner we had Bird Nest Salad and Bird Nest Pasta. For presentation the hard boiled eggs were whole but we cut them up before eating. Can you even tell that the Biscuit is in the shape of a bird? Not my best, but I couldn't find a cookie cutter I liked.

Bird's Nest Cookies for Dessert. The boys helped adorn the nests with their eggs:

And because the rule is you must get outside to celebrate the first day of spring... we made plates to share and went on a walk to deliver them to our friends.

Happy Spring Everyone!
We'll keep you posted on the Bird Family!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Darn! We missed out on some amazing cookies! We found a nest in our backyard a few days ago as well... it was so exciting! But it was gone the next day. I was sad. What a cute dinner idea!

Rachel and Todd said...

You are so creative, Ashlee! I love the nest dinner--that pasta, green stuff and tomatoes looks yummy. Happy Spring!

Alysa Stewart said...

awww! this post almost makes me like birds! I will have to tell you why i don't like them (which is a long and somewhat irrational story) later. I've always wanted to do birds' nest pasta! love the salad idea.

Jenika said...

I hope that someday I am as cool of a mom as you are. You're such an inspiration!