My friend/visiting teach-ee Jessica is having her first baby!
Rachel and I threw her a baby shower to celebrate.
Jess provided a guest list and off the invitations went...
Can you guess who I volunteered to do the invites?
Jess provided a guest list and off the invitations went...
Can you guess who I volunteered to do the invites?
Corey did a great job as always. I was particularly pleased with the interior of the cards. So cute hon!
We went minimal with the decorations, but I was pleased with the result. The only thing we purchased was paper-with which we made little origami boats and the sailboats/anchors to lay on the plates. Everything else Rachel and I already owned.
I do wish we had thought a little bit more about how to display the boats. They really were so darling! Having them sitting simply on the tray didn't do them justice. Ah well!Rachel made delicious cupcakes, I did the mini fruit kabobs and dip, and we each got some candy for the boats. The red MandM's and white lifesavers went with the theme, and Rachel was thoughtful enough to know Jessica's favorite treat: York Peppermint Patties.
Rachel made the diaper cake. Isn't the ribbon and rope perfect? Pay attention to that in the picture instead of the weeds growing in our backyard. (Corey thinks we look like such white-trash! He's got a nice plan to fix it soon. That'll make a fun before and after post!)
We forwent traditional shower games in favor of something more meaningful. Rachel read a great essay on Motherhood HERE and then explained to the group that while birthing advice is great, we certainly get plenty of it! And maybe we could offer her some actual parenting advice? She handed out cards that asked the ladies present what "Anchor's" them... and what keeps them "Afloat." Even went with the theme. Isn't she creative?!? We loved it Rachel!
It was great to hear what everyone had to say. A shower that was mostly talking and eating. Now that's my kind of party!Funny Side Note: Rachel and I gave the exact same advice. We were both writing when I glanced a peek at her paper. In answer to the first question...we both wrote "Prayer!" with the exclamation point and everything :) Then the answer to the second "afloat," question was basically the same as well. :)
A Word About Jessica: I feel like I am only at the beginning of my relationship with this wonderful girl. I love visiting her each month and getting to know her better and better. She is so kind. She is so sweet. She loves her family and the gospel deeply. She is a great example of forgiveness and generosity. I think she is going to be a first-rate mom!A Word About Rachel: Rachel is amazing. She is the quiet, behind the scenes, sincere do-gooder that we are all seeking to be. Often times in my Relief Society duties I will go to a household or hospital bed only to find that Rachel has been there first. She loves easily and cares deeply. She has taught me about patience and perseverance in motherhood. She has taught me about diligence and tenacity in church service. (She is the Primary President so I see first hand how she helps my children, and I also get the pleasure of working with her in our Ward Council roles.) She is a most valued and trusted friend.
And you know what else? The girl makes me giggle! And oh-how-I-need-that some days! I love talking and having fun with her :)
Last but not least... this shower was made possible by my behind the scenes boys: (Don't they look thrilled?)
Don't worry, they weren't nearly so grumpy about being upstairs for the event as you would think looking at their faces in the pictures. They played together and I snuck them up more than one plate of goodies! Aly came down at one point to say hello to Jessica, his primary teacher, and after just a bit of playing Corey put them in bed.
Corey is going to Heaven... you know that right?!? He is always so sweet to help me out with the boys even when it means sacrificing sleep which he so desperately needs.
Thanks Hon! It was a great night!
Corey is going to Heaven... you know that right?!? He is always so sweet to help me out with the boys even when it means sacrificing sleep which he so desperately needs.
Thanks Hon! It was a great night!



7 comments:
Thank you so much for the lack of montage in my name. I don't deserve it. Whew! One bullet dodged! Thank you so much for hosting this party! I actually had offered, but you and Rachel beat me to it. It was much better thought out and planned than I could have done and I'm so glad you guys were a part of it! I had a blast!
Wow! This looks like it went great. All your hard work paid off!
Sidenote: there's a lot of personal information in the inside of that invitation. Maybe you want to fuzz it out? In case of creepy people?
As the recipient of your shower throwing skills, I can attest that you are a great party planner! Looks fun!
Love the theme!
I think it's great you kept it simple honestly... I am sort of getting bugged by woman that go all out...no disrespect to their hard work but then others feel bad when they cannot present such an "event" plus its not a freaking wedding reception..which i Feel like some of them have become. I like a lot that you did differetn games and I thought all the decorations were absolutely perfect!!
oh my gosh..I so did not proof read or correct my errors in that, sorry!!!!
Hey, this is Jessica... used to be Larsen. I lived next door to Kyle and Natalie. I found your blog through Aerika's. Hope you don't mind. You have a cute family! Such cute boys! I have one named Jack too. So happy to see you are doing well.
Post a Comment