My History

Friday, August 10, 2012

Aly's Birthday

Aly woke up on birthday morning and was greeted by a sign Daddy made him at work.
Jack woke up before the rest of us and added a little love note too:

Jack's addition reads: You and truman are my favoret pepole in the World.

Jack is not known for being demonstrative with Alaster. From an early age Jack refused Alaster's affection and we know that lovey words in general (except to me and Corey) make him uncomfortable. So you can imagine how happy I was to see this note.

Then at bedtime when Jack prayed he thanked Heavenly Father for Alaster in the sweetest, sweetest way (shame on me for not writing down the exact quote of what he said...). After the prayer I looked over at Alaster who had a satisfied, sly grin on his face. I asked Aly "Did you hear that Aly?" He looked over at Jack and said "I love you too!" Then he tackled him in a huge hug and they both started laughing like crazy.

After dropping off Corey at work we went to the store where Aly picked out his birthday present (Long story... I think we may have unwittingly started new birthday present procedures... not sure how we feel about it yet...).

While we were there we noticed a bin of "Mystery Hot Wheels." When our backs were turned Truman started grabbing handful after handful and throwing them in our cart... the boys are STILL laughing about it. Anyway, I couldn't resist letting them each choose one. Best $3.00 I ever spent. When we got home the boys played and played with their new treasures. Truman even learned how to play with a car properly... rolling in on the ground in his hand back and forth! Jack and Aly were positively thrilled with that development. They were so proud of him!

After a while I pulled Aly upstairs to open cards and make phone calls to family. Thank you so much to everyone who remembered him. He loves his far-away family so much!

Before picking up Daddy from work we went to the library. They gave him (and Jack) a birthday present too! Their very first library cards! Huzzah!

When all of us (including Daddy) were safely back at the homestead we had a special FHE. It was Pioneer Day too after all :)

We used a map and had a very basic history lesson describing from when the church was organized and how/why they went from place to place until landing in UT. We had pictures to go with each place and we put stars on them as we talked. We discussed what it must have been like for them to leave their homes so many times and to have neighbors who treated them so unkindly.

The boys appreciate maps and couldn't believe that the Saints walked all the way from Nauvoo to UT! My favorite part of the lesson was when we all shouted "This is the place!" When we talked about Salt Lake and the meaning of Pioneer Day. Alaster's shout was so danged cute!

After FHE Daddy put together Aly's present:

For dinner Aly chose my Mexican Pita Pizzas. I was thrilled that when offered the choice of dinner he went for MY pizzas... not Little Caesar's Pizzas. Jack even clarified with him and Aly insisted he wanted the ones I make.
Little things like that make mommies so happy!

For dessert we had Banana Pops. Aly had been dying to try them ever since reading about them in The Friend. Birthday night was the night!

All in all a pretty good day!
Happy Birthday Mr. Morgan!

Birthday Party Post comin' up next!

No comments: