It hardly seems true that we are well into August and I will soon kiss my big boys goodbye and send them off to school.
And yet... It is true!
We are determined to make these last days together count.
Yesterday we made the bucket list:
And yet... It is true!
We are determined to make these last days together count.
Yesterday we made the bucket list:
Today I'm going to schedule it all out in my planner to make sure we hit to every item. I am forgoing all other normal activities possible in an effort to spend these last weeks with my boys.I'll let you know if we accomplish all of our to-do's!
And lest you think all we do is play around here, I will have you know that the bucket list is hanging on our wall right next to this baby:
This is a chore chart we instituted several weeks ago in response to a truly horrible day.I had reached a breaking point with uncooperative and lazy attitudes.
The chore chart works thusly: First thing in the morning I write down what chores need to be done. After breakfast the boys must accomplish their list of chores before any play. You will notice there are 3 boxes to check off. This is to address the particular problems we had been experiencing.
The first is to indicate that the chore just plain old got done... I always inspect their work to make sure that things were done properly.
The second is for staying on task (ie. I shouldn't have to tell you to "keep cleaning!" 20,000 times before the job is actually finished. I don't actually enjoy being a nag!)
The third box is for having a good attitude. Any whining, fighting, complaining, eye rolling, huffing or other like behavior is not permitted. You are part of a family. We all contribute to the cleanliness and happiness of this home.
If they get an "O," in any of their boxes I assign an additional chore so that they may try again.
Things have vastly improved since we started doing chores this way.
The boys are great little workers and their help has genuinely helped me keep the house cleaner. I give them chores that actually need to be done!
It's given me the chance to teach them loads of new and necessary skills and I have been surprised by what they are actually capable of accomplishing. They can sort laundry, clean all the different parts of a bathroom, pick up entire rooms, put dishes away, dust, wipe, organize... all kinds of things!
We genuinely have a good time working together each morning, and I am hopeful that they are learning good lessons like: Work before play, etc.
The system has been in place long enough now that it is simply an expectation. We have much, much less push-back when I tell them what they are doing, and they even seem to be proud of the job well done!
Anyhow folks... Here's to the last 2 weeks of summer.
Let's make 'em count!
1 comment:
Wow! I love this idea. May I please include it on Fb&Fm? I have been thinking a lot about chores and schedules and teaching kids about work vs play etc etc, so I needed to read this. Thank you!
I'm not used to your blog being private, so I'll have to find some way to remind myself to check your blog as often as I look at others. That's the one downside to private blogs!
Post a Comment