My History

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Apples and Conferences

Jack loved the Caramel Apples from his party so much that he needed another when we got home.
I'm glad he enjoyed them. 

I didn't post the link to the Vanilla Cinnamon Caramel Apple recipe because I was still mad at it... Did you notice how thin the caramel coating was?  Grrrr.  When you wash your apples in soapy water and go to the additional trouble of sanding your apples with fine grit sandpaper... you want your caramel to stick!  I followed the recipe exactly, used a candy thermometer and everything, and it all still just ran right off.  Even a second dipping didn't help.

It's too bad too because the caramel really tasted delicious! Ah well.  HERE's the recipe.  If you made it just for an apple fruit dip it would be SO yummy.

I was eating an apple myself when a darling floofy headed baby walked by and asked for a bite:
Before I knew it the stick was out of my hand.
I put him in his chair and let him at it!  At a few points I had to adjust the stick for his safety (the big huge point at the bottom was scaring me) and even making those little changes was a huge problem... he was NOT about to surrender the apple. 

He ate the whole darn thing!  Core and all! Yummmmm!
Later that night Corey and I had the pleasure of attending Parent Teacher Conferences.  I have never posted about these in the past because I didn't want to sound braggy... but now that the blog is private I'd really like to record what we heard.

Jack:  Is at or above grade level in all expectations. (Except one!  He struggles with the clock still... silly goose!  I think he just hasn't really applied himself... His teacher thought it was weird too considering he does so well in much more advanced types of math.) He is "a very well rounded student."  "Shy in class," (she said she only sees his silly side when he's with his friends during play times... with her he is very shy!). Mrs. Haskett smiled and laughed a little as she talked to us about his writing. "I marked him up a grade level in this area (one of the writing skills) because he has such a strong, interesting voice and style when he writes."  He writes with "great detail," and she let us take a look at his work (I'll post soon!).  He is very well behaved in class, absolutely no issues there.  He is excelling and is a "great addition to my classroom."  She also enjoyed him in their current science unit (insects) because he would raise his hand and give them all kinds of facts about whatever it was they were studying.  On a field trip he correctly identified spiders that they saw and was able to enlighten the class about their characteristics.  He told me one thing that SHE taught HIM though... in his head as he reads about insects he had been pronouncing "abdomen," "Ah-Bod-Oh-Man," so hearing her pronounce it correctly was helpful. : )

We told Mrs. H how much we appreciate her.  Jack didn't have a super-fantastic experience in K and 1st grade... but this year he has come home very happy and excited with what they are doing.  I asked him recently what has been the difference between this year and previous years and he answered "I love science... and I really like my teacher."  Jack is not given to gushing about people.  For him to say that really means a great deal.  We are so happy to have her!

Alaster: Is in danger of being stolen by his teacher.  She admitted to such.  "One day you'll drive up to get him and he won't be here!  He'll be at my house!" "You KNOW how much I love my Alaster!" She told us that all of his teachers (music, art etc.) have commented to her how much they enjoy having him in their classes.  He's "so full of life and energy!"  "So sweet." and "So funny!"  Even the janitor talked to Mrs. Oldani about him.  He apparently "really enjoys a lunch conversation," with Aly.  I have been in Aly's classroom and observed him, and I can't tell you how proud I am! He is calm and respectful, diligent and sweet. I'm sure his family and neighbors will find that hard to believe (the calm part I mean) but I swear it's true!  I have been floored!  His name is frequently on the respect chart and I have heard Mrs. O and others point him out to the class many times as a good example. Mrs. Oldani also told us he's a "very hard worker," and that he is progressing excellently.  I knew he was doing well behaviorally, but it was so fun to hear that he is also doing so well academically.  He is thriving!  We loved seeing examples of his writing and artwork and looking at all the different skills to see where he's at.  What a good boy!

AND... we are thrilled that the school is now equipped with not only Raz Kids (an online program for reading) but also with a new online Math supplement. (Both programs available for use at school AND home!) They can work at their grade level or progress up... it's set up like games so he should have fun and learn at the same time.  Huzzah!!!  Just what we needed for the boys!

Corey and I are just tickled with the way things are going this year.  We couldn't ask for more!

2 comments:

Aerika Larsen-Newman said...

Don't worry Jack-O, I still struggle with the clock too!

deemom said...

OH MY HECK so cute so funny so BURTON.... Love you guys, aunt deedee