My History

Monday, November 12, 2012

Tonight

True Story:

I have had days with my boys that were so frustrating that I honestly worried if they somehow missed out on that whole ... conscience... thing.  Have you ever had to cling like crazy to the doctrine of "the age of accountability," to make it through your day?  I have!

Another True Story:

I have had many more days that I am sure I was blessed with the sweetest, brightest, coolest, cutest, funniest, handsomest, most talented, and all-around-best boys on the planet.

Today was a day like that.
 
After a lovely dinner, FHE, piano practice (Jack is really getting good guys!) and bedtime routine I sent Jack and Alaster to bed.  A few minutes later both boys came bounding (quite literally... they were bouncing up and down and all around they were so happy and excited!) down the stairs to tell me they had given me a "Midnight Present."  Meaning:  They had cleaned their entire room without me asking.  They had picked up the floor, put a basket of clean laundry away, straightened their beds, cleaned off their "special shelves," and their toy cubbies. It was immaculate!
 
They explained:
 
Aly: "Do you want to know why we did this? Because we just felt like cleaning."  
Jack "FOR YOU."
Aly: "Yeah.  For YOU. And it made us feel so good inside!"

A quick conversation about the Spirit (because of THIS wonderful talk, of course), some heartfelt praise, some big huge loves later... they were back in bed and I went back to doing dishes.

Sometimes life is just grand!

1 comment:

Sara Newton said...

Thanks for sharing this story Ashlee! We've had a few rough days in a row (one rough day per child) and I was wondering when the good days would come back! I'm excited to remember that the good days out number the bad...newborns are just hard.