My History

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day

Christmas Eve was a super relaxed nice day together. We mostly just hung out. Corey had to work for a few hours in the afternoon, and when he got home the real festivities of the night began. Here are the boys in their Christmas Eve Pajamas:



That night we made sugar cookies and decorated them for Santa. It was so fun that Jack really understood what was happening this year. After we made the cookies we had him draw a picture for Santa. He was sure to draw him a sword, and then he had Corey draw one too just so Santa would be sure what he wanted I think. We didn't think that he payed attention the next morning when we were sure to show him that Santa had taken his picture and eaten the cookies, but when he told Whit about it later he mentioned to her that "the cookies were all gone..."



After the boys were to sleep the real fun part for me and Corey began. I cleaned the house (which two hours into Christmas morning didn't look at all like I had...)and Corey set to work on Jack's big Christmas present from Gram and Grampa Burton. Here you can see the finished product. On Christmas morning Corey and Jack played with it for about a half hour while I made Cinnamon Rolls before we even opened any more presents. We've played with it every day since too, and I think it will continue that way for quite some time.





They got him a lot of the accessory trains and people that you can get to match the set, and when Corey was putting it together he came rushing to find me when he discovered this piece. We are going to e-mail it to Conan O'Brien because we think the resemblance is striking! Check out the hair!



The following are pictures specifically for our family in Illinois. We sure wish they could have been here to see us open up their wonderful presents, but these were the looks on our faces for a few of the things they sent us:





That's right people that is a real live kitchen-aid that they got me. Am I not so spoiled? It was the year of the kitchen for me all the way around. Corey got me a few gadgets that I have been wanting, the Burton's got me the kitchen-aid and some really cool gadgets too, and then Tyler (Corey's brother who drew my name) got me a rice cooker! When I planned meals for this week it was all about what I could make with my new stuff. Did you know that a kitchen-aid can do pretty much anything? I was super impressed today that it made a meat-loaf for me. I didn't have to put my hands in the yucky meat, and I swear it mixed it up better than I ever do by hand. I think I will have to do a whole post just about the wonders of my new kitchen toys!



Corey got some fun things Christmas Morning, but none made him happier than this Barnes and Noble gift card. He went at the soonest possible moment after Christmas and got the Pride and Prejudice sound track (that piano music is SO pretty!) and a bunch of classics that he has been wanting to read. Barnes and Noble has really good prices on those things if you know what to look for. He got a Tolstoy book with three novels, an Edgar Allen Poe (his favorite) collection, Jane Eyre, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, The Canterbury Tales, and the Hunchback of Notre Dame. He should be set for a while.

Here is a picture of the ooey-gooey home made cinnamon rolls that I made. They were pretty good if I do say so myself. If anyone wants the recipe let me know...



It was all very exciting. So much so that Aly kind of couldn't take it. He went back to sleep after only being up a little over an hour and a half. Here is his little overwhelmed face:



I must mention just one more present... Jack's new kick is PIRATES! They are so cool! Unfortunately the kid didn't have a pirate sword of his very own. For the past two weeks he would tell me (and everyone else who would listen) very matter-of-factly "I don't have a sword. I'm a pirate. I need a sword." Well Santa didn't dissapoint. It's a shame that I can't figure out how to put video up here. We have a golden video of Jack in his first sword fight with dad. It was hillarious.



After our morning festivities Cal and Whit came over to exchange gifts. To my sadness now I forgot to take pictures of it all! They got Jack a HUGE tool set with everything that he was lacking (the saw was the most exciting- and he has been playing with it a lot) and they got Aly some cute car key toys and a thing for him to look at while he's in the car seat. They got Corey and me Pajamas too and I'm sad I don't have a picture to post from them!

Also during the afternoon I got to talk with my Grandma Carmen in New Mexico, and my Dad and Christina in Idaho. They too sent cute gifts that during that hectic portion of the day I didn't take pictures of. We loved them though... Thanks guys!

The evening was spent at the Larsen's home with the biggest family gathering we have had in quite some time it felt like. Here's just a portion of the gang:





And Corey and I sat with these nut-balls at dinner:



Corey had Alaster laughing pretty hard after dinner. They were being so cute together.



And okay I lied... I have to show a few more presents. Our Illnois family is so wonderful and I really want them to see the boys enjoying a few more things that they sent to us. Sorry!

Here are the boys in some outfits from Gram and Grampa Burton:





Here's Jack with a present from Uncle Tyler in Chicago:



And finally... Aly with something every mother should know about. It's called a "Sleep Sheep." Let me tell you it has changed our little world. For more information click HERE.



All in all it was a great Christmas. I hope this post didn't make us look incredibly superficial and like it was all about the presents for us. We did enjoy them don't get me wrong, but mostly we are grateful and feel so blessed for our wonderful family and for the most important gift of all, our Savior. In fact I wanted to also post a link to a talk that Corey and I studied together the Sunday before Christmas. Click HERE to get it. It's a talk about the Savior that really got me thinking, and changed the way that I do some things. I rank it up there with my favorites.

Anyway, we love you all and hope that you had a Merry Christmas too!

3 comments:

coryshay said...

How fun! It looks like you had a great day! I've seen those sleep sheep things before. Aly likes it I guess? I like the turtle one too.

Brooke said...

my oh my oh my! jack is soooo big and very handsome ! your little one makes me baby hungry :)!!! Im so glad we can be blogging buddies. and only my photography one is cool...my family ones normal :) hehe and thanks you are so sweet. I just got my first camera at thanksgiving..but have been waiting forever for it. I still have a lot of learning to do :) yeah we can be friends again! i missed you!

Brooke said...

also i looked again i notice jack got the same train set and camera as my kids! very cool moms we are!